- Children, young people and families
There is a range of specialist provision in Barnet from specialist support provided in mainstream schools and settings for children and young people with a statement of special educational needs or an Education Health and Care (EHC) Plan, additional resourced provisions on-site in mainstream schools and settings and special schools.
All mainstream schools will have some pupils who have a statement of special educational need or an EHC Plan. There are additional resourced provisions at the following schools.
For children with a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Condition:
- Broadfields Primary
- Childs Hill Primary
- Coppetts Wood Primary
- Livingstone Primary
- The Orion
- Hendon School
For children with a severe speech and language impairment:
- London Academy
For children with a severe hearing impairment:
- Summerside Primary
- Hendon Secondary School
For children with complex physical needs:
- Colindale School
Children in the early years with severe and complex needs may be able to attend the Acorn Assessment Nursery based at Oakleigh Special School.
Pupil Referral Units
- The Pavilion Study Centre is a Pupil Referral Unit for young people aged 11-16 years who have been permanently excluded from school.
- Northgate School specialises in secondary-aged students suffering from mental health challenges
- The Home and Hospital Tuition Team provides for children and young people 5-16 with medical needs
Children and young people who attend these provisions have a statement of special educational need or an EHC Plan. There are nursery places available at Livingstone, Summerside and Colindale Primary Schools and placements can be arranged with professional input without a statement or EHC Plan.
Barnet has four special schools. Children and young people who attend these schools have a statement or EHC Plan.
- Northway School provides for children aged 3 to 11 years with moderate learning difficulties and additional needs
- Oakleigh School provides for children aged 2 to 11 with severe and complex needs and a wide range of special needs
- Oak Lodge School provides for children and young people 11 to 19 years with moderate learning difficulties and complex needs
- Mapledown School provides for children 11 to 19 years with severe learning difficulties and complex needs
Non-maintained and independent special schools
The Local Authority always prefers to place children and young people in Barnet’s specialist provision. This ensures the most efficient level of spending and facilitates children and young people being educated close to their local community, having more local employment and training opportunities and encouraging good social links. Very occasionally, it may be necessary to seek provision for children and young people from outside the Local Authority.