The link between the former Borough of Finchley and Jinja was formed in 1963.
Uganda was granted self-government in 1962 and the link was probably established to help this process.
Finchley received local government officers from Uganda and was instrumental in their training. In 1964 the council approved continuing the link. In 1965 the council decided to retain correspondence links only.
Although Barnet still lists Jinja as a correspondence link this has ceased probably due to the governmental problems which resulted in much of the local council being destroyed.
Jinja is the second largest town in Uganda, with a population of 71,213, according to the National Census of 2002.
It was founded in 1901 as a colonial administrative centre and became a municipality in 1957. It is the capital of the Jinja region. The town is located at the point where the river Nile flows out of Lake Victoria, at an altitude of over 3,700 feet above sea level.
The population of this part of Uganda is mostly Bantu extraction. Most people adhere to one of the Christian faiths but there is a substantial Islamic minority. Both birth and death rates are high. The elderly population is not high, and generally speaking, incomes are very low.