Loading, please wait

Council Tax

  • Council tax and benefits

Council Tax is a contribution that you must make to help pay for local services.

Pay council tax
Register with Myaccount
Register with Myaccount to manage your council tax and housing benefits

There is one bill for each home, whether it is owned or rented. Part of the Council Tax goes directly to the Greater London Authority which pays for the police and fire authorities. The bill is based on the capital value as determined on 1 April 1991 by the Inland Revenue's agency, The Valuation Office.

The amount of Council Tax that you have to pay is based on this valuation and any discounts or exemptions that you may be entitled to.

Information relating to the relevant and previous financial years in regard to the gross expenditure of Barnet Council is available at our Business Rates page. A hard copy of the Council Tax booklet and previous years information is also available on request by writing to London Borough of Barnet, Business Rates, PO Box 2016, Pershore, WR10 9BH.

When will I be sent a new bill to pay my Council Tax?

New bills are sent out in March, so that they are delivered in time to start paying again from April.

You normally pay Council Tax from April to January in the following year. However taxpayers who only move into the borough after April may find that their instalments end in February or March.

The easiest and most reliable way to pay Council Tax is by Direct Debit. By choosing to pay by Direct Debit you can opt to pay over 10, 11 or 12 instalments and one of 6 different dates, making payment of your Council Tax even easier.

Download a Direct Debit Form.

I cannot afford to pay the bill as I am on low income, is there any help available?

You may be entitled to Council Tax Support in addition to any State Benefits you currently receive. From 1 April 2013, Council Tax Benefit was abolished and replaced with Council Tax Support. Contact the Housing Benefits Section for advice on 020 8359 2111 or email benefits@barnet.gov.uk. There is also advice on the Benefits section of this website.


Download documents

Rate this page