Loading, please wait

Disabled Facilities Grant

  • Council tax and benefits

If you have a disability or if you have a disabled child, it may help to have an adaptation to your home. If you need a major adaptation to your home you may be able to get a Disabled Facilities Grant (sometimes just called a DFG) to help meet the cost.

Who can apply for a DFG?

The grant must be for the benefit of someone who is registered as a disabled person, or who would qualify to be registered. You can apply if you own your home, rent it, or if you are the landlord of a disabled person.

If you rent your home from a Housing Association, you need to approach them first to discuss the adaptation work as they may carry out the works. If you live in a Barnet Homes property, they will pay for adaptation works that are recommended following an assessment.

What is a DFG for?

The grant could make it easier to:

  • get in and out of your home
  • get to your bedroom, bathroom, living room or kitchen
  • use the toilet, bath or shower
  • prepare and cook food
  • get around your home to help you care for another person or use your garden

It might be used to aid or assist your disability by:

  • installing a suitable heating system or improve the one you have
  • helping you control lighting, power and heating or
  • making your home safe for you and other people who live in it

What will I get?

How much you will get depends on your income and savings.  The most money you will receive is £30,000. A ‘test of resources’ will look at your income and any savings to decide if you may need to pay towards the cost of the work to the property.

Disabled children under 18 can get a grant without their parents’ income being taken into account.

If the cost of the work (including a surveyor or architect’s fees) is more than £30,000, Private Sector Housing may be able to help you with the extra cost. This will depend on your individual circumstances.

If you are an owner-occupier, and you receive a DFG for more than £5,000, we will place a land charge on the property for 10 years. This means that if you sell the property within 10 years, you would have to pay the money back to the London Borough of Barnet, up to a maximum of £10,000.

You should not start any work on adapting your home until you have final approval for the grant. You cannot normally get a grant for work that has already been carried out.  Normally, if you (or a relative) do the work the council will only accept invoices for materials or services you’ve bought.

Are there any other options?

To give more choice and flexibility, at your request as an applicant you may vary the works recommended for DFG funding. There are two options – an alternative or reduced scheme. In an alternative works you wish to carry out more works that recommended. A reduced scheme is where you chose not to carry out all of the works recommended by the Occupational Therapist. These different options can be discussed with you at the time of your application.

Sometimes it is not possible to adapt your home, maybe due to its age, size, location, or because the cost of the works are high. Where funds are available, we may be able to help with the cost of moving to be more suitable home or a one that can be adapted more easily by offering a relocation grant.

More information about Applying for a Disabled Facilities Grant


  • Disability Facility Grant (DFG)
  • Tel: 020 8359 7420
  • Barnet Care and Repair Agency
  • London Borough of Barnet, Barnet House, 1255 High Road, Whetstone, London N20 0EJ
  • Tel: 020 8359 7462
  • FAX: 0870 889 6793
  • Social Care Direct
  • London Borough of Barnet, Barnet House, 1255 High Road, Whetstone, London N20 0EJ

    SMS: 07506 693707
  • Tel: 020 8359 5000
  • Email: socialcaredirect@barnet.gov.uk

Download documents

Rate this page