Loading, please wait

Applying for a disabled facilities grant

  • Council tax and benefits

Applying for a Disabled Facilities Grant

You’ll need to find out:

  • what changes are needed to your property
  • the type of work that needs to be done
  • the cost and how to arrange the works.

What do I need to do?

The first step is to contact the London Borough of Barnet’s Adults and Communities Delivery Unit who will decide if you qualify for social care services. You will have a ‘social care assessment’ which can be arranged through contacting Social Care Direct on 020 8359 5000. The assessment may show that your needs can be met by, for example, some special equipment, such as a bath seat. However, it may decide that an adaptation is the most appropriate and cost effective way to meet your needs and recommend that you apply for a DFG.

An Occupational Therapist (known as an OT) from the Adults and Communities Delivery Unit can look at your circumstances and recommend the type of changes needed.

More information about the criteria used to prioritise cases:
Fair Access to Care Services in Barnet Eligibility Matrix

Who will process the grant?

The Private Sector Housing Service will assess if your home is suitable for the adaptation and whether the work is ‘reasonable and practicable’. They will work (and often visit jointly) with Adults and Communities or Children’s Services to consider what is necessary and appropriate to meet your needs.

They will also carry out a ‘test of resources’ to look at your income and savings to see if you need to contribute towards and cost of the works. They will process your grant application for you, inform you when the grant is approved and make sure the finished work is satisfactory and meets the requirements of the grant.

What am I responsible for?

If you are applying for a grant, you will need to tell Adults and Communities or Children Service’s and the Private Sector Housing Service whether you want to deal with the grant application and building works yourself, including getting quotes or if you want someone else to deal with it for you (an ‘agent’). Your OT, or your officer in Private Sector Housing, can give you advice and information to find a suitable agent. We recommend that any builder you use or your agent uses specialise in adaptation work.

Barnet Care and Repair Service

The Barnet Care and Repair Service specialises in working with older people and disabled people of all ages in the Barnet area, to help them live independently in their own home. They can support you through the process of applying for, and using, a DFG. The service covers all aspects right from completing the application form, to getting estimates and supervising the works. There is a charge for this service, and in many cases the cost of the fees can be covered by the grant.

How you’ll be paid

You’ll be paid either:

  • by instalments – as the work progresses
  • in full – when the work is finished

A grant is an agreement made between you as the applicant, and the council. It is not a contract between the council and the building contractor or agent so we will not be responsible for supervising the work or making sure it is done to the proper standard. You, or your agent, will be responsible for making sure the work is properly carried out.

However, you can if you wish ask us to pay the grant money direct to the contractor or agent on your behalf.

You will need to make sure that you receive from the builder any instruction manuals for equipment that they have installed and also warranties for any specialist equipment, such as a stair lift, through floor lift, ceiling track hoist or water closomat. Once the works are completed, you will need to arrange and pay for any future repairs or maintenance of your adaptation and equipment (when the warranty periods have expired) as these costs cannot be paid for by a DFG.

More information about Disabled Facilities Grants


  • Disability Facility Grant (DFG)
  • Tel: 020 8359 7420
  • Barnet Care and Repair Agency
  • London Borough of Barnet, Barnet House, 1255 High Road, Whetstone, London N20 0EJ
  • Tel: 020 8359 7462
  • FAX: 0870 889 6793
  • Social Care Direct
  • London Borough of Barnet, Barnet House, 1255 High Road, Whetstone, London N20 0EJ

    SMS: 07506 693707
  • Tel: 020 8359 5000
  • Email: socialcaredirect@barnet.gov.uk

Download documents

Rate this page