Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support
- Council tax and benefits
Full service of Universal Credit has now been rolled out in Barnet.
This means from the 16th May 2018 you cannot make a new claim for housing benefit unless you are in one of the following groups:
- You are resident in supported exempt accommodation, or you have been placed in temporary accommodation by Barnet Homes
- You have reached State Pension Credit age
- You are part of a couple where one of you has reached State Pension Credit age
- You are receiving Contribution-based Jobseeker's Allowance with no Universal Credit top up
- You are receiving Contribution-related Employment and Support Allowance with no Universal Credit top up
- You have three or more children and have been advised to claim Tax Credits after 16th May 2018
If any of the above circumstances apply to you, you can make an application for housing benefit.
If you do not fall into one of the above groups, you will need to make a claim for Universal Credit for help with your housing costs.
Council Tax Support
If you need help paying your Council Tax, you still need to make a claim for Council Tax Support.
Find out about available housing benefits
Work out how many bedrooms you can claim for.
Find out about the latest changes to benefits and welfare reform
Supplying evidence to the Benefits Service
If you are supplying evidence to the Benefits Service you can do this in person or by post. You can call at either Barnet House or Burnt Oak Library weekdays between 9am and 4.30pm, you do not need to make an appointment to do this.
If you bring your documents to Barnet House or Burnt Oak Library, we will take copies of them and hand the originals back to you.
If you send them by post, we will return them to you via the Royal Mail. Documents will be sent second class unless you provide a pre-paid envelope in which case your documents will be returned as you have requested. Items such as birth certificates, driving licences or passports will be returned via Recorded Delivery.
To see an advisor, you will need to make an appointment in advance.
For all telephone enquiries call: 0208 359 2000
Lines open: Monday – Thursday: 9am – 5:15pm, Friday: 9am – 5pm