Loading, please wait

Who we will pay

  • Council tax and benefits

If your tenant has claimed Housing Benefit without a break at your property since April 2008 or earlier, they can choose to receive the benefit themselves or have it sent to the landlord or agent.

If your tenant claimed Housing Benefit at your address after April 2008 they will normally receive Local Housing Allowance (LHA). This means we will normally pay your tenant unless any of the following apply:

  • they are 8 or more weeks in rent arrears
  • they are unlikely to pay their rent
  • they have difficulty in managing their financial affairs (see safeguard policy)
  • you have helped the tenant gain or retain the tenancy by not charging more than the LHA rate

Rent arrears

If your tenant is in rent arrears of 8 weeks or more we will pay you unless it is in the overriding interests of the tenant not to do so. The 8 week period starts from when the rent is due. We may suspend payment while we are investigating, and if there is a dispute about the rent arrears we may ask to see a court order.

If your tenant is receiving Housing Benefit and has rent arrears of 8 weeks or more, please email us with details on the arrears. You can also write to us. 


If we find out that the tenant's Housing Benefit has been overpaid and the payment was made to you, we can ask you to repay the overpayment if the law allows.

If we decide that the overpayment can be recovered from you, you will have the right of appeal. We can ask you to repay the overpayment by sending you a invoice or we can withhold Housing Benefit we are paying you for your other tenants.

If we do withhold benefit, you must treat that tenant's benefit as paid in full. 

Disputes and appeals

Landlords can appeal against some of the decisions of a Housing Benefit claim, but only where they are a person affected. For example, you can appeal against a decision not to make payments to you, but you cannot appeal against the amount of benefit awarded to your tenant.

If your tenant moves out, the benefit will end even if you are still charging them rent. Your tenant is responsible for any rent due after benefit ends.  


  • Housing Benefits Service
  • London Borough of Barnet, Benefits, PO Box 2015, Pershore, WR10 9BG
  • Tel: 020 8359 2000
  • Email: benefits@barnet.gov.uk
  • Type Talk
  • 18001 020 8359 2000

Download documents

Rate this page