- Council tax and benefits
Housing Benefit helps you pay your rent if you’re on a low income.
Housing Benefit can pay for part or all of your rent. How much you get depends on your income and circumstances.
You can apply for Housing Benefit whether you’re unemployed or working.
You may also be able to get help with your rent if your benefits stop.
Housing Benefit can’t be paid for heating, hot water, energy or food - if you need help, use a benefits calculator to see what else you might be entitled to.
Housing Benefit: eligibility
You may get Housing Benefit if:
- you pay rent
- you’re on a low income or claiming benefits
- your savings are below a certain level - usually £16,000
You can apply if you’re employed or unemployed, but if you live with a partner, only one of you can get it.
If you’re single and under 35, you can only get Housing Benefit for bed-sit accommodation or a single room in shared accommodation.
Use a benefits calculator to check your eligibility or call us on 020 8359 2111.
Lines open: Monday – Thursday: 9am – 5:15pm, Friday: 9am – 5pm.
Who isn’t eligible
Usually you won’t get Housing Benefit if:
- your savings are over £16,000 - unless you get Guarantee credit of Pension Credit
- you live in the home of a close relative
- you’re a full-time student - unless you’re disabled or have children
- you’re an asylum seeker or sponsored to be in the UK
- you’re residing in the UK as an European Economic Area jobseeker
If your circumstances change
You’ll have to tell us if your circumstances change as his can affect how much you get.
Complete a change of circumstances form to tell us what has changed. You will have to supply evidence to prove the change.
You should tell us about changes like:
- a change of income
- the people that live with you
- children leaving or starting school
Supply evidence like:
- bank statements
- birth certificates
Or you can write to us regarding your change in circumstances
London Borough Barnet
PO Box 2015
Pershore WR10 9BG
Drop it in, Monday - Friday 9am to 4.30pm at:
1255 High Road
Whetstone London N20 0EJ
Burnt Oak Library
Edgware London HA8 0UB