Loading, please wait

Housing Benefit: Eligibility

From the 16 May 2018, you can only make a new claim for Housing Benefit if you are in one of the following groups.

  • you are resident in supported exempt accommodation, or you have been placed in temporary accommodation by Barnet Homes
  • you have reached State Pension Credit age
  • you are part of a couple where one of you has reached State Pension Credit age
  • you have three or more children and have been advised to claim Tax Credits after 16th May 2018

If you do not fall into one of the groups listed above, you will need to make a claim for universal credit if you need help with your housing costs.

If you fall into one of the groups above, you may get Housing Benefit if:

  • you pay rent
  • you’re on a low income or claiming benefits
  • your savings are below a certain level - usually £16,000

You can apply if you’re employed or unemployed, but if you live with a partner, only one of you can get it.

If you’re single and under 35, you can only get Housing Benefit for bed-sit accommodation or a single room in shared accommodation.

Use a benefits calculator to check your eligibility or call us on 020 8359 2000.

Who isn’t eligible

Usually you won’t get Housing Benefit if:

  • your savings are over £16,000 - unless you get Guarantee credit of Pension Credit
  • you live in the home of a close relative
  • you’re a full-time student - unless you’re disabled or have children
  • you’re an asylum seeker or sponsored to be in the UK
  • you’re residing in the UK as an European Economic Area jobseeker

Rate this page