Loading, please wait

Help in tough times

  • Council tax and benefits

Barnet Council wants its residents to be able to access the right support and advice.

The changes to the welfare system and the current economic climate have created uncertainty for many people, so Barnet Council has put together contact details for help and advice on issues that may affect you.


The Gov.uk website is the best place to find out about government services and information.

Welfare Rights

Welfare rights advisers provide advice to families about welfare benefits as well as providing other advice services. They can help you complete forms, appeal against decisions, help you apply for other benefits and offer advice about money.

Discretionary Housing Payments and Crisis Fund

The council has a limited fund of money called a Discretionary Housing Payment which can help if you are having difficulty with your housing costs.

There is also the Barnet Crisis Fund which can help people who need extra help in an emergency or help to support or maintain themselves in the community following a stay in hospital or being released from prison.

There are conditions which include

  • being resident in or having a connection with Barnet
  • receiving or qualifying for Income Support, Income Based Jobseekers Allowance, Income Related Employment and Support Allowance , Guaranteed Credit form of Pension Credit
  • no other source of funds such as grants you could apply for.

The Department for Work and Pensions is made up of a number of agencies. Jobcentre Plus helps people of working age with training, finding work and benefits. They also help those who cannot work with Income Support. The Pension Service helps those aged over 60. The Disability and Carers Service supports disabled people and carers whether or not they work.

Money Advice

The Money Advice Service is an independent service set up by the government to help people make the most of their money.

Citizens Advice

The Citizens Advice provides free and impartial advice on issues including benefits, money and housing.


AdviceUK is the UK's largest support network for free, independent advice.

National Debtline

National Debtline offers free online debt advice.


Information and advice on housing issues


  • Benefits Services
  • London Borough of Barnet
    P.O. Box 2015
    WR10 9BG
  • Tel: 020 8359 2000
  • Email: benefits@barnet.gov.uk

Rate this page