Loading, please wait

Under occupation in the social sector

  • Council tax and benefits

The Government has changed the rules relating to Housing Benefit for all working-age tenants renting from Barnet Homes, a registered housing association or other registered social landlords.

The amount of Housing Benefit paid to social tenants is now based on the number of bedrooms that their household requires. People judged to be living in properties larger than their needs will see their Housing Benefit reduced.

This only affects people of working age, i.e. those who have not reached the age at which they can claim state pension credit.

Find out if these changes affect you at GOV.UK.

Discretionary Housing Payments

In some circumstances you may be entitled to a Discretionary Housing Payment. This is a fund administered by the council for those in real need of additional help with their housing costs.

Find out more about Discretionary Housing Payments.

Further information

If you require further information on under occupancy please contact the Benefits Service. See contact details above.

If you require housing advice please contact the Housing Needs team.

The Citizens Advice service provides a wide range of advice.

Shelter offers confidential housing, welfare benefit and debt advice through a network of advice services.

Rate this page