Are they old enough? Advice for consumers and businesses
Products that are age restricted to over 18s:
- Butane Gas lighters
- Tobacco Products
- Offensive weapon and knives
- Aerosol spray paint
- Preventing underage sales
Asking for photo ID is a great way for businesses to ensure they do not sell to underage people
We recommend that businesses only accept Passports, Photo driving licence, and PASS approved ID.
However asking for the ID is not enough in itself, businesses should ensure that:
- it is a genuine ID and not a fake,
- that the age displayed makes the person old enough to buy the product
- that the photo matches the person presenting the ID
Every time a business refuses to serve someone with an age restricted product, it is good practice to make a record of it. A record should be made of
- The date
- The product
- The reason for refusing sale
- The name of the member of staff who refused
Concerned about a premises?
If you are concerned about a premises selling age restricted products to underage persons then please use the enforcement reporting form attached. You can send in the information anonymously.
If you are a business who would like more information on age restricted products, including a copy of our training pack, please contact us using the details below.
- Trading Standards Team
- London Borough of Barnet
North London Business Park
Oakleigh Road South
- Tel: 0208 359 7443
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org