Advice for consumers and businesses on underage sales
The following products can only be sold to people who are 18 years old or over:
- Butane gas lighters
- Tobacco products
- Offensive weapons and knives
- Aerosol spray paint
Asking for photo ID is a great way for businesses to ensure they do not sell to underage people.
We recommend that businesses only accept Passports, Photo driving licences, and PASS approved ID.
However asking for the ID is not enough in itself, businesses should ensure that:
- it's a genuine ID and not a fake
- that the age displayed makes the person old enough to buy the product
- that the photo matches the person presenting the ID
Every time a business refuses to serve someone with an age restricted product it is good practice to make a record of it. A record should be made of:
- the date
- the product
- the reason for refusing sale
- the name of the member of staff who refused
Premises suspected of selling products unlawfully
If you are concerned about a premises selling age restricted products to underage persons then please use the enforcement reporting form. Your information will be kept confidential.
If you're a business who would like more information on age restricted products, including a copy of our training pack, please contact using the details below.
- Trading Standards Team
- North London Business Park,
Oakleigh Road South,
London N11 1NP
- Tel: 0208 359 7443
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org