Food Hygiene Training
An EU Regulation requires food businesses to ensure any staff who handle food are supervised, instructed and trained in food hygiene in a way that is appropriate for the work they do. Obtaining a food hygiene training certificate (at an appropriate level for their role), satisfies a food handler’s legal obligation to undertake appropriate food safety training.
We have courses suitable for anyone who prepares or handles food or is involved in the management of such people in a catering environment. This includes restaurants, takeaways, bars, cafes, fast food outlets, kitchens, hospitals,hotels, prisons, education establishments and home caterers. If group bookings are required for a specific work place the course can be tailored to meet your workplaces specific advice needs.
Level 2 Food Hygiene Training
Our most popular course is the Level 2 Food Hygiene Training Course
- Food poisoning: where it comes from and how it gets into our food.
- Prevention: how to prevent contamination and the growth of bacteria.
- The law: a brief summary of food law and how it affects you.
Who should attend
- People who handle food and have had little or no previous formal training.
- New staff members
- Someone who has been preparing food for several years who may have picked up bad habits.
- People who want to set up their own food business
- Useful starting point for staff who may wish to go on to become supervisors or managers.
- To make sure staff who handle food know and understand the theory of hygienic food preparation.
- The Government passed laws which require food handlers to have an appropriate knowledge of food hygiene. The Level 2 Award in Food Safety in Catering satisfies this rule for the majority of food handlers.
- Public concern about food poisoning has shown the importance of clean and hygienic food businesses. However, cleanliness is not enough if staff do not understand the importance of temperature control, cross contamination or disinfection.
- A case of food poisoning doesn't just affect the victim. The business could lose its reputation and customers. They might even be prosecuted or sued for compensation.
Examination and certificate
Candidates who pass the short multiple choice examination will receive the nationally recognised Level 2 Award in Food Safety in Catering Certificate.
Many food businesses display their certificates in their premises as a sign to the public of their commitment to high standards.
Level 3 Food Safety in Catering
The Highfield Level 3 Award in Food Safety in Catering (RQF) is designed to ensure that supervisors, managers (or other employees) are aware of the legislation applicable to food safety and how to communicate the required standards to other staff. These include ensuring compliance with food safety legislation, the application and monitoring of good hygiene practice, how to implement food safety management procedures and the application and monitoring of good practice regarding contamination, microbiology and temperature control. All materials (information booklets, props for interactive learning) will be provided on the course. The food hygiene courses we provide are delivered by practising Environmental Health Officers.
On the final day there will be a multiple choice examination which will them be sent off for external marking. Successful candidates receive a Highfield certificate which is accredited under a UKAS management system.
You can see more information on the Highfield course here.
Other Types of Food Training Courses
The council also offers an accredited 6-hour food safety course for managers and staff of local businesses, a Level 3 Award in Supervising Food Safety in Catering course which is ideal for those who are already, or who intend to be; supervisors of food handlers within the catering and hospitality industry , as well as a Food Allergy Awareness Course to help manage the risk to peoples safety due to an increase in incidence of people who have food specific allergies.
If group bookings are required for a specific work place, courses can be tailored to meet your workplaces specific advice needs, please contact us using the details at the bottom of this page if you would like to discuss this.
Level 1 Award in Food Safety Awareness in Catering
- Contact us for bookings on 020 8359 7995
Level 2 Award in Food Safety Awareness in Catering
- 15th January 2019
- 7th Febuary 2019
- 12th March 2019
- 2nd April 2019
- 7th May 2019
- 4th June 2019
- 2nd July 2019
- 1st August 2019
- 3rd September 2019
- 1st October 2019
- 5th November 2019
Level 3 Award in Supervising Food Safety in Catering
Please note this is a three day course, and you must be available for all three days.
**These Level 3 Award in Supervising Food Safety in Catering course dates are subject to change if there is low demand for bookings. A full refund will be made to customers if we cancel the course and they cannot attend a different date offered**
There are currently no dates available for the Level 3 Awad in Supervising Food Safety in Catering. Please contact us on FoodSafety@barnet.gov.uk to express your interest and we will update you as soon as the next date for the course becomes available.
Food Allergy Awareness Course
- Contact us for group bookings
*For any courses which you would like to attend but do not currently have a date booked, please email us letting us know which course you would like to attend and we can put you on a course specific mailing list.
Prices correct as of 6 April 2018. All courses are VAT exempt
level 1 Award in Food Safety Awareness in Catering
£48 per person
Level 2 Award in Food Safety in Catering
£70 per person
Level 2 Award in Principles of HACCP
£70 per person
Level 2 Award in HACCP - Food Safety Systems in Manufacturing
£137 per person
Level 3 Award in Supervising Food Safety in Catering
£350 per person
|Allergy Awareness||£25 per person|
Allergy Awareness - Group bookings for a half day course
(up to 20 Attendess)
price on application
|Level 2 Award in Food Safety - Examination Resit||£33|
If rebooking or cancellations are required, there is an associated administration charge, which if required costs %30 of the course price and there must be at least 24 hours notice given to the Food Team or the full course fee will be retained. No refunds are given for no shows. If you need to make a change to your booking, please contact the food team on 020 8359 7995, or by emailing Foodsafety@barnet.gov.uk
Courses are held at Barnet House, 1255 High Road, London N20 0EJ.
For more information, course fees and how to book:
- Re Ltd Food Safety Services
- Barnet House, 1255 High Road, Whetstone, N20 0EJ
- Tel: 020 8359 7995
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org