Public Spaces Protection Orders (PSPOs)
In an emergency, always call 999.
If the problem is less urgent, please call the police on 101
Public spaces protection orders (PSPOs) are intended to deal with a particular nuisance or problem in a particular area that is detrimental to the local community’s qualify of life, by imposing conditions on the use of that area which apply to everyone. They are designed to ensure the law-abiding majority can use and enjoy public spaces, safe from anti-social behaviour.
Officers able to enforce PSPOs include Council Officers (with delegated enforcement powers), Police Officers and PCSOs.
Penalty for breaching a PSPO
Breach of a PSPO is a criminal offence subject to, up to a level three fine on prosecution (up to £1,000)
- A first breach will be dealt with by way of a Fixed Penalty Notice of £100 and the individual will be issued a Community Protection Notice Written Warning.
- Payment of the FPN discharges liability to conviction for the offence
- A second breach will be dealt with by way of a Fixed Penalty Notice of £100 and the individual will be issued a Community Protection Notice (Breach of this CPN is a criminal offence).
- A third breach will result in the individual being referred for prosecution for the offence and may result in an application for a Criminal Behaviour being considered by the court.
Your local police service are working in partnership with the council to ensure the effective enforcement of these regulations.
PSPOs proposed in Barnet
You will be able to read about any PSPOs in Barnet here.
PSPOs are in place in Barnet
Details of PSPOs in Barnet will be available to read here.
Report a breach of a PSPO
Depending on what particular nuisance or problem the PSPO has been introduced for will depend on who you report the breach to. Each PSPO has specific ‘how to report a breach’ details in the order details and signs in the area.
If the PSPO is related to anti-social behaviour such as street drinking then you need to call the police on 999 in an emergency or 101 for non-urgent breach reports.
If the PSPO is related to environmental crime such as fly tipping or dog control then you can report it to the council
Find out more
- Telephone us on: 020 8359 2875
- Email us at : BarnetCST@barnet.gov.uk
- or write to us at:
Community Safety Team
London Borough of Barnet
North London Business Park
Oakleigh Road South
London N11 1NP