Loading, please wait

Anti-social behaviour

  • Housing and Community

Anti-social behaviour is defined in the Crime and Disorder Act 1998 as “any action that causes harassment, alarm or distress to one or more people not of the same household.”

It can include a range of problems such as:

  • begging
  • dog fouling
  • fly tipping
  • fly posting
  • graffiti
  • hate crime
  • intimidation and harassment
  • littering
  • noise
  • nuisance behaviour
  • street drinking
  • vandalism.

Anti-social behaviour can have a significant influence on the lives of the victim and the wider community. It can impact an individual's feelings of personal safety, make a neighbourhood an unpleasant place to live or work and greatly reduce quality of life.

Report anti-social behaviour

If you are the victim of anti-social behaviour, you should report this to your local police, Barnet Council or your landlord if your home is provided by a housing association to seek an appropriate solution to the problem.

You can fill in and send an anti-social behaviour incident report to Barnet Council.

Keep a diary

If the anti-social acts continue, please keep a diary of the events that you witness.

Include as much detail as possible about the incident(s) and the people involved, including dates and times and the effect the behaviour had on you.

You may find that your neighbours are experiencing similar behaviour. If so, you could ask them to report any incidents and to keep a diary of events that they have seen. This will help agencies understand the level of harm caused to individuals and the community.

Talk to us

You have a right to inform us about your concerns about the area you live in.

This will help us to understand what the borough’s crime prevention priorities should be and where to target resources to tackle crime.

You can do this in several ways:

  • ask to attend a Ward Panel meeting
  • attend a Barnet Neighbourhood Policing Team street briefing or community event.
  • join your local Neighbourhood Watch scheme
  • if you are a housing association tenant, talk to your landlord about how to get involved.

Visit the Met Police website to get information on what's happening in your area.

The Barnet Safer Communities Partnership  is committed to preventing and tackling anti-social behaviour.


  • Community Safety Team
  • North London Business Park (NLBP), Oakleigh Road South, London N11 1NP
  • Tel: 0208 359 6071
  • Email: BarnetCST@barnet.gov.uk
  • Barnet Homes
  • Tel: 0800 389 5225
  • Email: talk2us@barnethomes.org

Download documents

Rate this page