Housing strategy and policies
- Housing and Community
Barnet's draft Housing and Homelessness Strategies (2019 to 2024) - Consultation Now Live
A three-month consultation has been launched by Barnet Council to seek residents’ feedback on strategies to improve housing and tackle homelessness across the borough over the next five years.
Visit engage.barnet.gov.uk to fill in questionnaires and leave a comment about the plans at any point between now and Monday 4 February 2019. If you would prefer a hard copy of the survey in the post, please email Joshua.Henry@Barnet.gov.uk or call 020 8359 7043.
The draft Housing Strategy's main themes are to improve standards in privately rented housing, deliver more affordable homes, promote independence, tackle homelessness, and ensure housing is safe and secure.
The draft Homelessness and Rough Sleeping Strategy's main themes include preventing homelessness, finding accommodation for those at risk of it, helping rough sleepers, and reducing the need for temporary accommodation.
Barnet's Housing Strategy (2015)
London is a successful, thriving city, attracting investment and people from across the globe.
Barnet has the largest population of any London borough, with an estimated 393,000 residents in 2015. This is expected to grow by a further 19% over the next 25 years.
This creates a number of challenges for Barnet residents and for public services, such as:
- Rising demand leads to higher house prices and rental costs.
- Fewer people can meet their aspirations to home ownership, and more are living in the private rented sector.
- The demand for housing and homelessness related services is increasing.
- More emphasis is needed on helping people to live independently at home.
Our housing strategy therefore includes the following objectives:
- Increasing housing supply.
- Delivering homes that people can afford.
- Sustaining quality, particularly in the private rented sector.
- Preventing and tacking homelessness.
- Providing suitable housing for vulnerable people.
- Delivering efficient and effective services.
Find out more about our plans by reading the full document in the downloads below.
- Housing strategy team
- North London Business Park (NLBP) Oakleigh Road South
London N11 1NP
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org