Loading, please wait

Decent Homes Grants

  • Housing and Community

Grants are currently available to vulnerable owner occupiers and private rental tenants (with Landlords consent) for issues of disrepair affecting their property.

Type of works may qualify for a grant

  • works to remove serious health and safety hazards in the property (Category 1 hazards)
  • works to the structure (for example walls), external elements (for example roof covering, windows, chimneys) and internal services and structure (for example boilers, electrics, stairs, floors) where they need  replacing or major repair
  • the provision of efficient heating systems and effective insulation.

Who can apply?

The applicant must be an owner occupier and receiving a specified benefit. A privte rental tenant receiving benefits may also apply with the permission of the landlord.

What is a 'specified benefit'?

  • Income Support
  • Guaranteed Pension Credit
  • Income based employment support allowance
  • Working families tax credit (where the household income is less than £16010)
  • Housing Benefit
  • Council Tax Benefit
  • Disability living allowance
  • Attendance allowance.


A local land charge will be registered against the property, if you move/sell within 10 years you will need to repay the grant.

If you feel that you do qualify for this scheme or would like further information regarding this scheme, please contact Victoria Sorsby on 0208 359 7440 or email victoria.sorsby@barnet.gov.uk

Rate this page