Loading, please wait

Gas, fire, carbon monoxide

Information for landlords

Fire safety measures are an important consideration for all rented property, as fire is more likely to occur in a rented property than in an owner-occupied home. The risk of a fire increases with the number of occupants and the government recognises that there is a particular risk of fire in houses in multiple occupation (HMOs), especially if the tenants do not know each other

All private sector landlords are legally required to install at least one smoke alarm on every storey of their rented property.

A carbon monoxide detector is also required in any habitable room containing a solid fuel burning appliance, for example an open fire or a wood burning stove.

Landlords have a responsibility to make sure these alarms are in a proper working order at the start of each new tenancy (excluding renewals of existing tenancies) made from 1 October 2015 and to make sure that there is a record of these alarms being tested. 

The London Fire and Emergency Planning Authority have a limited supply of free smoke and carbon monoxide alarms to give away to landlords or managing agents of rental houses in the Greater London area. 

Find out more on GOV.UK's Smoke and carbon monoxide alarms: explanatory booklet for landlords to help landlords further understand and comply with the The Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm (England) Regulations 2015.

Landlords should be aware that these Regulations do not contain all of the fire safety requirements which their premises may be subject to, for example additional alarms will be required in houses in multiple occupation e.g. bedsits that do not require a licence. For more information please refer to the Council’s Fire Safety Guide.

Landlords are also required to comply with their responsibilities under Gas Safety legislation.

The legislation is enforced by the Health and Safety Executive and requires, among other things, that all gas appliances are checked annually by a Gas Safe registered engineer and a copy of the certificate is provided to the tenants. You can find a suitably qualified engineer on the Gas Safe website.

Some other key pieces of legislation to note are:

As the risk of a fire increases with the number of occupants, especially if the tenants do not know each other, we have a 'Fire safety guide for Houses in Multiple Occupation for Landlords'.

Rate this page