Care and Repair
We work with older people and disabled people of all ages in the Barnet area, helping them to live independently and safely in their own homes.
We can help you by:
- checking your benefit entitlement and helping you to apply for any benefits which you might be entitled to
- advising you what repairs and improvements are necessary to your home to make it safe
- preparing a specification relating to the work you want undertaken
- obtaining quotations from builders and overseeing the works until they are completed
- providing details of contractors that we have used in the past and whose performance we are happy with
- putting you in touch with other local services, such as the handyperson service and occupational therapy team
- advising you about grants and other financial assistance (various charities) that may be available
- referring you on to energy efficiency schemes and security schemes to make your home safer, warmer and more energy efficient
Financial assistance (subject to funding being available):
- Disabled Facilities Grants are provided to disabled persons to adapt their homes to make it more suitable for their needs. They are only available on the recommendation of an occupational therapist and are means tested
- Warm and Healthy Homes Grants is a new grant scheme to provide heating, insulation and other energy efficiency measures to residents most at risk of fuel poverty and cold related illness
- minor works grants are provided for essential repairs and security measures. The grant is means tested
Home fire safety
Care and Repair work closely with the London Fire and Emergency Planning Authority (LFEPA). The LFEPA will visit you at home to offer advice on how to make your home safe and, where appropriate, fit a smoke alarm for free.
The LFEPA target people and places where we know there is a higher risk of fire. This includes high-risk individuals such as older people, especially those living alone, those with mobility, vision and hearing impairment, mental health services users and those liable to intoxication through alcohol or drug use.
A combination of these factors will significantly increase the risk from fire.
Paying for our services
Many of our services are provided free of charge. However, we are unable to provide all of our services this way and for some works a fee based on the cost of works will be charged. The amount to be charged will be fully discussed with you before you are committed in any way and in many cases the cost of the fees can be covered by the grant being applied for.
I want to know more
Please call the Care and repair agency who will be happy to help on 020 8359 7462, alternatively you can enquire online using our Care and Repair e-form.
Keep Warm, Stay Well
Keeping warm in the colder months is important and can help prevent illness. Those who already experience a long term health condition, such as severe asthma or a chest or heart complaint, face the additional risk of having a stroke or heart attack in cold conditions. More advice and information on what assistance is available.
Barnet Council is committed to working in partnership with other organisations, to help adults at risk maintain their independence and to be able to live a life that is free from abuse and neglect. More information.
What if I am not happy with the service?
If you have a complaint about the administration of your grant, you should contact the Private Sector Housing Managers on 020 8359 7995 (Lisa Morrow - Mondays and Tuesdays or Belinda Livesey - Thursdays and Fridays
- Barnet Care and Repair Agency
- London Borough of Barnet
1255 High Road
- Tel: 020 8359 7462
- FAX: 0870 889 6793
- Email: Care&Repair@Barnet.gov.uk
- Disability Facility Grant (DFG)
- Tel: 020 8359 7420