Markets and events
One area that, if done right, can make a big positive impact on the high street is the way markets and events are supported. There are currently a mix of permanent and occasional markets in:
- East Finchley
- High Barnet
- Mill Hill
- North Finchley
- Temple Fortune
These include things like:
- traditional outdoor markets for farmers and artisans
- regular events for food, fairs or Christmas markets
- tables and chairs outside established cafes and eateries
Organising an event or holding a market can be a great way to draw people to the high street.
We want to proactively support these kinds of activities where they are supported broadly by the local community and are appropriate for the surroundings.
A recent success has been the crowdfunding support generated for Chipping Barnet’s Teenage Market, to which Barnet Council committed £5,000 through the Barnet Together Fund.
The organisers of the crowdfunding campaign hope to have the market up and running on a monthly basis by Easter 2018, providing market stalls and a sound stage for young people outside of school hours to launch and develop their arts and creative projects. The funding required will go towards items such as buying extra market stalls, staging and lighting equipment, roofing, licences and any additional costs.
What we can offer:
- We can help Town Teams explore the possibility of setting up a new street market, by giving them information and connecting them with other areas that have established successful markets for them to learn from
- Where Town Teams want to hold local events on the high street, we can provide information and, where appropriate, support them to make these a success including helping them to navigate the licencing and approval system
- We will work with Town Teams to identify under-utilised spaces around the town centre that could be used for testing new markets or street trading opportunities
- We want to work alongside local traders and businesses to see an increase in constructive use of the public walkway e.g. for café tables and chairs, or outdoor displays, assisting those businesses that wish to utilise this whilst improving the experience and safety of shoppers and local residents
Help and support
- express an interest in running an event that requires a Temporary Events Notice
- get assistance in applications for licences for markets or other methods of street trading
- discuss ideas about possible events that could be organised with partners to optimise and revitalise street trading
If you have any other queries, contact us at email@example.com so we can direct you to the relevant person within the council.
For further information on licenses and planning:
Licensing Services: firstname.lastname@example.org
Planning Services: email@example.com