East Barnet Village
The name East Barnet was in use by 1294, probably so that people would not confuse it with Chipping Barnet further north. The settlement grew up around the crossing of Pymmes Brook. There was a bridge known as Katebrygge in 1406, which no doubt gave its name both to Cat Hill and the later Cat Inn. (The Cat Inn existed from the 18th century until 1955 when it burned down).
There was a large house in the centre of the village, which was known for a long time as the Clockhouse because it had a small clock turret. The Clockhouse was demolished in 1925 and was replaced by Clockhouse Parade. The clock tower from the original house was re-used to decorate the new parade. In the early 17th century the house was known as Dudmans, and was the home of Ralph Gill. Ralph Gill was the keeper of the lions that were kept at the Tower of London.
East Barnet Village remained very rural up to the 1920s. Even after Barnet Station was opened in 1850 there was no rush to build houses. An Anglican National School was established in 1822, with its current buildings being opened in 1872. A local man, Mr Thornton, provided a lot of the money for the school, and his name is remembered in Thornton Road. Jacksons Road and Capel Road were laid out in the 1880s. Jackson Road was built by William Jackson, who also had the license at the Prince of Wales pub.
East Barnet war memorial was unvelied on 27 June 1920. It remained in the centre of the road junction until c1970 when it was moved in front of the Methodist church. The latter now covers not only the site reserved for it by the board but also that of the adjacent cottages.
- Local Studies Centre
- Hendon Library (first floor), The Burroughs, London NW4 4BQ
- Tel: 020 8359 3960
- Email: email@example.com