Edgwarebury and Broadfields
The ancient Celts had fields just north of Edgwarebury farm before the Romans arrived in Britain.
- the building of the farm, part of which is 17th century, probably dates back to the medieval period
- for many centuries it was known as Bury farm. Although it was considered the centre of Edgware manor, and was where the manorial lord would lodge when in Edgware, it was not the manor house as such
- the manor has been held by All Souls College, Oxford, since 1442
- in February 1735 the farm was robbed by the infamous Gregory Gang, which included Richard Turpin. They assaulted the 70-year-old farmer, Mr Lawrence, and raped one of the maids
Edgwarebury Open Space
Edgwarebury Open Space started with the purchase of 29.5 acres by Hendon Rural District Council and Middlesex County Council in July 1930.
- the space was opened as a recreation ground in 1932, after £7,000 had been spent on converting the land into a park
- it is one of the London Borough of Barnet's premier parks
- adjoining, and to the southwest, is a portion of Metropolitan Open Space, known locally as the Edgware Roughs. On which are the remaining brick piles of what was supposed to be a railway connecting Edgware to Bushy, with a station called Brockley Hill
- nearby is Edgwarebury Lane cemetery, a Jewish cemetery which has been open since 1974
- a section of the M1 motorway north of Bury farm opened in 1967
East of Edgwarebury Lane is the Broadfields. This housing estate started with the sale of the 1,100 acre estate of Mr Serjeant Cox in June 1923.
- the estate included Moat Mount Park (120 acres), plus Coventry, Stoneyfields, Broadfields, Bays Hill, and Barnet Gate
- the housing estate that was developed started with number 4 Broadfields Avenue built in 1927, but its main development was in 1936 when John Laing's started construction of their Edgware Estate
- St Andrew's church was opened in 1937 with a £5,700 donation given by Violett Wills and her sister Mrs Rowcroft
- Broadfields Primary School opened in 1942, with a permanent building opened in 1952
- the Sparrow Hawk in Glengall Road was opened in 1957, in the 1960s it was a respected jazz venue. The local Catholic congregation held services there until their new church, St Matthias Roman Catholic Church, opened in June 1964
- Local Studies Centre
- Hendon Library (first floor), The Burroughs, London NW4 4BQ
- Tel: 020 8359 3960
- Email: email@example.com