Brent Green (Hendon NW4)
At the lower end of Brent Street is Brent Green. This small piece of ground was saved from developers in 1878 by a group of local people. Further down the road, where Hampshire Court is today, was Salisbury Plain.
This was a piece of wasteland in front of an inn called The Load of Hay (demolished 2002). During the 18th century animals being taken to London were penned here overnight.
There is a small collection of 18th-century houses, two with fire insurance plaques. Penfold House, Brent Street, is said to have been built in 1713, and is thought to have been a lodge for drovers bringing cattle up to London. The house was known as Albert Cottage, being given its present name in 1923.
Hendon Park was laid out on Step Fields, belonging to Goodyer House (demolished in 1934), and was opened as Queen's Park by in 1903. During World War Two Hendon Park was used for large propaganda rallies. 'Rout the Rumour' was the first such rally held in England (July 1940).
The renowned 16th-century cartographer John Norden lived at Hendon House. The house was demolished and replaced with Hendon School. A little further down the road is a small gothic complex called the Alma White Centre.
In 1893 the Rev W. H. Seddon, Hon Secretary of the Church Army, purchased a house called Fosters in Brent Street with the intention of building 'a Rescue Home (for fallen women), with a Chapel attached'.
The site became St Saviour's Homes for 'feeble minded' women in 1897. In 1926 it was taken over by the Pillar of Fire Society as a bible college, school and chapel.
- Local Studies Centre
- Hendon Library (first floor), The Burroughs, London NW4 4BQ
- Tel: 020 8359 3960
- Email: email@example.com