Golders Hill (Hendon NW11)
The Old Bull and Bush was open in the 1720s. By 1762 North End had 17 houses, 3 cottages, as well as 2 inns.
Prime Minister William Pitt the elder (c1766) lived at Pitt House (demolished 1952). Hope Cottage was the home of a painter called John Linnell (1820s) where he was visited by Blake and Morland. The house was the childhood home of Wilkie Collins, the novelist.
Wyldes Farm was known by that name by the 1480s. It was used by John Linnell (1830s), and was visited by Charles Dickens and many others. The Heath Extension was created from the Wyldes estate in 1907, with the rest of the estate becoming the Hampstead Garden Suburb.
Golders Hill House, originally an 18th-century house, and its grounds were bought by the London County Council in 1898 for use as a public park by the people of London. The house was destroyed in 1940.
When John Bond was lord of the manor of Hendon (1790s) he built his manor house at Golders Hill. The house did not continue as the centre of the manor after his death, but the name manor house remained. This became Manor House Hospital in 1917 during the First World War. The hospital closed in 1999.
Ivy House was originally built by John Coore in 1786. Its most famous resident Anna Pavlova, the internationally acclaimed ballerina, lived in the house between 1910 and 1931. It is now a Jewish cultural centre.
Further down the road is Golders Hill Terrace (c1874), a small row of Victorian houses. King Alfred School, a rational school, came to the area in 1919, but the lodge of the school is a Victorian remnant of an earlier house.
- Local Studies Centre
- Hendon Library (first floor), The Burroughs, London NW4 4BQ
- Tel: 020 8359 3960
- Email: email@example.com