Hendon Online Resources
The Victoria County History describes the development of Hendon in detail.
Motco's Cary's 15 Miles around London (1786) is at one inch to the mile and gives an interesting overview of the Barnet area. For 1870s Victorian Ordnance Survey maps there is www.old-maps.co.uk. These are slow to download, but can be searched using postcode and place name searches.
The University of Leicester has made available their collection of directories online. There are four Kelly's Directories which cover Hendon (including Golders Green and elsewhere in the parish). Each has a description of Hendon at the time the directory was published, with a limited list of private residents, and then a list of tradespeople, including shopkeepers.
There are now a number of online libraries providing historical pictures of the Barnet area:
- For the 18th and 19th centuries try Collage for images from from the Guildhall Library, London
- For Edwardian and 1920s postcards and images try Memories
- For 20th century images try Popperfoto, or Getty images
- Francis Frith provides images from the post World War Two period
- For films from 1910 to the 1960s try British-Pathe
Simply use the search facility with words like: Hendon, Golders Green, Colindale, and other relevant search terms.
Books on Hendon
Hendon, and Golders Green Past, Hugh Petrie, Historical Publications, 2005.
Hendon, Childs Hill, Golders Green, and Mill Hill; a pictorial history, Stewart Gillies (MA) and Pamela Taylor(Ph.D) Phillimore and Co. Ltd, 1993.
A History of Hendon, John Hopkins (Hendon Borough Council) 1964.
The Story of Golders Green, Clive Smith and John P Hall, Ernest Owers and Williams, 1993.
A History of Hendon, Edward T Evans, Hendon, 1890.
- Local Studies Centre
- Hendon Library (first floor), The Burroughs, London NW4 4BQ
- Tel: 020 8359 3960
- Email: email@example.com