Loading, please wait

Frith Manor and Burtonhole

  • Libraries

The earliest documentary reference to Frith Manor dates to circa 1500, as a sub manor. It had control of lands not only in Mill Hill, but also in North Finchley. There was a family called Burton living here by the reign of Henry VIII, and Burtonhole Farm is mentioned from at least the early 17th century. It is still a working farm.

Partingdale Manor is a manor in name only, and was built in the early 19th century. Low Wood House was built around 1875. Near to Partingdale Lane is the remains of a Cold War control centre, from which north London was to be governed in the event of a nuclear attack.

It was built to withstand an atomic bomb, but became obsolete as these weapons became increasingly more powerful. It passed into the hands of Barnet Council in 1958, and was used in 2000 as the setting for an episode of the television series Beech is Back. It is now a listed building. The large electricity step-down station was built in 1961.

Contacts

  • Local Studies Centre
  • Hendon Library (first floor), The Burroughs, London NW4 4BQ
  •  
  • Tel: 020 8359 3960
  • Email: library.archives@barnet.gov.uk

Rate this page