Poets Corner and Daws Lane
This Victorian suburb to the west of Hammers Lane was started on land that had belonged to Sir Charles Flower (d.1834). In 1878 the Birkbeck Freehold Land Society divided the land into aproximately 500 plots laid out in a series of roads, which were named after famous poets such as Byron, Milton, Shakespeare and Tennyson.
By 1896 the Baptists had a small iron chapel built on the south side of Tennyson Road. Two other streets called Victoria and Albert Roads, (named after Queen Victoria and her husband, or 'consort', Prince Albert) formed a second and adjacent block of streets north of Daws Lane, where there were a few shops. On the Ordnance Survey map of 1896 only one tenth of the plots had houses. Daws Farm, more than 37 acres south of Daws Lane, was bought by Hendon Council in 1923 and opened as a park.
In 1895 land was given to the Linen and Woollen Drapers' Association east of Hammers Lane to build small retirement cottages, which came into use in 1898. In 1927 a further nine acres were acquired. Mill Hill open air swimming pool was opened in 1935 and closed in 1980. Further along is a civil defence building constructed in 1939. It was intended to be used as a cleansing centre in the event that Hendon suffered a gas attack during World War Two. Fortunately it was never needed and is now used as a drill hall for the Sea Cadets.
- Local Studies Centre
- Hendon Library (first floor), The Burroughs, London NW4 4BQ
- Tel: 020 8359 3960
- Email: email@example.com