What you can borrow
Barnet libraries have something for everyone including:
- fiction such as mysteries, classics and science fiction
- non-fiction books on every topic imaginable
- vocal scores and playsets
- music CDs
- ebooks and audiobooks
- digital magazines
How many and how long?
- adults and teenagers - 14 items on loan at any one time
- children - 10 items on loan at a time
- books - 3 weeks
- music CDs or audiobooks - 3 weeks
- DVDs - 3 or 7 days
You can return items to any Barnet library. You can also reserve items from the collection for a small fee.
Books, CDs and audiobooks can be borrowed free of charge but DVDs have a small loan charge. Charges are made for all overdue items.
Renewing your loans
You can renew your loans in person, by telephone or online.
Special library cards
If you are a childminder, preschool leader or foster carer you can have a special card for books to share with the children in your care. People living with Dementia can also have a special card.
- Childminders can borrow an additional 14 items, plus themed story boxes. Standard loan periods and charges apply
- Preschool leaders can borrow up to 30 items, plus themed story boxes. Books are loaned for 100 days and non-book items for standard loan periods. Standard charges apply
- Foster carers can borrow an additional 20 books for up to six weeks, 2 DVDs (U, PG and 12 certificates) free of charge and themed story boxes
To get a special library card you must show
- proof of name and address
- your OFSTED or Local Authority registration documents
We also offer a special card for people living with Dementia. With this card you can borrow the standard 14 items but no fines are charged on the late return of books. Please visit any Barnet Library to apply.
Interlibrary loan obtains non-fiction books which are not held in your own public library. We cannot borrow audiovisual items, fiction or children's books. Orders are placed either online or in person at your closest library. You can order journal articles directly from the British Library for a small fee.
Community language materials