Loading, please wait

Barnet Council prohibits street drinking in Burnt Oak

Street drinking in Burnt Oak town centre will be punishable by a fine of up to £1,000 after the launch of Barnet Council’s first Public Spaces Protection Order (PSPO).

The order will go live from Monday (8 October) after it was supported by 93 per cent of people who took part in a council consultation earlier this year. The PSPO will last for two years, subject to annual review, but could be extended for a longer period.

Public concerns about alcohol-related nuisance behaviour were also raised during a recent Engage Barnet Question Time event with Councillor Richard Cornelius, Leader of Barnet Council.

Council and police officers will be able to confiscate alcohol from anyone drinking publicly outside of a licensed venue, such as a pub or restaurant, in the PSPO restricted area. Those who refuse to hand it over will face a £100 Fixed Penalty Notice or a summons to court, with a fine of up to £1,000.

The PSPO restricted area will stretch along Watling Avenue from its junction with the A5 Burnt Oak Broadway to the other side of the railway line. Montrose Playing Fields, Silk Stream Park and Watling Park will also be covered. Nearby roads including Barnfield Road, Back Lane, Market Lane – and the nearby car parks – will also be included within the zone.

Councillor Reuben Thompstone, Chairman of Barnet Council’s Community Leadership and Libraries Committee, said: “Residents reported how their quality of life was being impacted by street drinking and littering in the area.

“With the support of local residents, we are introducing this order which will be proactively enforced and regularly monitored by the council, the local police Safer Neighbourhood Teams and our partners. We will also be stepping up our efforts to engage with the street drinkers by deploying specialist outreach support services to help them. We want to make our borough a better place for everyone, and this is just one of the things we are doing to make this happen.”

To report ASB and street drinking in Burnt Oak within the restricted area call 101, or 999 in the case of an emergency.

Rate this page