Big Friendly Read school holiday activities and events
The Big Friendly Read challenge which officially kicked off in Barnet on July 9 is now well underway with lots of free events and activities planned throughout the school holidays.
As part of the challenge which runs until 17 September, children aged 4 to 11 are encouraged to read six books during the summer holidays.
The summer reading challenge is running in Barnet libraries with an impressive programme of nearly 50 free or low cost events for babies, children and young people, and more than 2000 children in Barnet have registered to take part in the challenge.
Councillor Reuben Thompstone, Chairman of the Children, Education, Libraries and Safeguarding Committee, said:
“I’m delighted to see so many young people in Barnet taking part in this great challenge, which promotes the importance of reading.
“With school holidays now underway we know the cost of school holiday activities can add up quickly – so it is perfect timing for parents to take their children to one of the many free or low cost events happening across our libraries.”
Highlights among the many free and low cost events include:
- Friendly fantastic frieze event, 2pm - 3pm, Wednesday August 3 at Osidge library
- Lego Motion – Animated Lego Workshop, 10am – 1pm Monday 8, Tuesday 9 and Thursday 11 August. Suitable for ages 10+ visit http://www.futureversity.org/ for more information and to book your place. Cost £15.00
- Roald Dahl Lego event 2.30pm – 4pm – Friday 12 August at Childs Hill library
- Neville Floyd’s interactive storytelling session ,11am – 12 pm, Monday 15 August at Burnt Oak library.
- Big Friendly Read marvellous craft event, 3pm – 5pm, Tuesday 30 August at Chipping Barnet library
- Big Friendly Baby Bounce and Play, 1.30 – 2.15pm, Thursday 18 August at East Barnet library. Cost £3.50
Visit www.barnet.gov.uk/bigfriendlyread for more information, and to find the full list of free events you can attend.
And don’t forget our competition – there are 100 'Golden library cards' hidden around the libraries in Barnet, find one and win a prize.