Vehicle seizure notices
When we can seize a vehicle
We can seize a vehicle, trailer or mobile plant (and any contents) if we think it is being, or will be used, in waste crimes such as fly-tipping.
We will seize a vehicle that has been:
- used to illegally dump waste (fly-tipping) in a way that could cause pollution to the environment or harm to human health
- driven by someone not registered as a waste carrier
- used to transfer waste to someone not registered as a waste carrier
- used at a site that is breaking the rules of an environmental permit.
If we decided to investigate or prosecute
If we need to investigate an offence we can keep your vehicle in storage for up to 15 working days.
We may keep it longer to continue an investigation or if we decide to prosecute.
If our investigation shows that your vehicle was used for a waste crime, we will always consider prosecuting you.
We will keep your vehicle during the court process. If the court decides that you have committed a waste crime, they may take away your vehicle permanently.
Claim your seized vehicle
We publish information about the vehicles we seize for at least 15 days. Any vehicles we have seized will be listed at the foot of this page.
To claim your vehicle you must prove you are the legal owner of the vehicle.
You must send a copy of:
- the V5C vehicle registration document in your name with your correct address
- the current certificate of motor insurance in your name with your correct address.
You must also send a copy of your driving licence as proof of ID.
Email your documents to BarnetCST@Barnet.gov.uk or send them to:
Barnet Community Safety Team
Room G15, North London Business Park
We will agree whether you are the owner or not within three working days.
If we decide not to investigate further or prosecute, you will have 10 working days to collect your vehicle.
You must bring original versions of your documents with you when you collect your vehicle.