Loading, please wait

Street Parties and Special Events

Barnet Remembrance Day Events

To remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice in two world wars and the many conflicts and combat zones since.

This weekend, Barnet will join other boroughs, towns and cities and pause to pay tribute to those who have lost their lives in conflict to mark Remembrance Day across the UK.

Barnet is continuing its tradition of remembrance with events across the borough on 11 November 2018, we would like to invite members of the community to join the services being held.

Please see full list of events below:

All Saint’s Church, Oakleigh Road North parade 9:40am

Arkley, Rowley Lane (No Mayoral representation)

East Barnet parade and wreath laying 10:30

East Barnet War Memorials and East Barnet Methodist Church parade 10:35am

Edgware United Synagogue 12:15am

Edgware War Memorial parade 10:40am

Golders Green parade 10:30am

Hendon War Memorial parade 10:40am

Mill Hill School Chapel & opp. St Paul’s Church & Middlesex Regiment Memorial, The Ridgeway NW7 parade 9:45am

Monken Hadley, Camlet Way Unknown (No Mayoral representation)

New Barnet, Station Road parade 9:35am

St Andrew’s Church, Totteridge parade 09:50am

St James’s Church, Friern Barnet Lane (No Mayoral representation)

St John the Evangelist Friern Barnet Road 9:35am

St John’s Church, Wood Street, Barnet parade 10:20am

St Kilda’s & Finchley United Service Club, Ballards Lane parade 9:40am

St Mary at Finchley Church and War Memorial at St Marylebone Cemetery 9:50am

The Burroughs parade 10:15am

The Greek Orthodox Cathedral of The Holy Cross & St Michael in Golders Green (No Mayoral representation)

Village Road N3 (No Mayoral representation)


Street parties and fetes are a great way to bring the local community together. Everyone on your street can join in and it's a great way to get to know your neighbours.

There are many reasons you may wish to hold an event, below are a few suggestions to get you thinking....

Of course, it doesn’t have to be one of these occasions. We can help with any street celebrations in our community from charity events to community gatherings and religious festivities.

To hold a street party you will need to request a road closure for your street.

What you need to do

In order to get the ball rolling, we require some information from you about the party and how you are going to organise it.

First, we request that you get together with a minimum of 3 other households to help take responsibility of your party.

Complete this simple street party form* and send it to our team at HighwaysCorrespondence@barnet.gov.uk and they'll get back to you.

*Make sure you download the form onto your desktop before filling it out.

To make sure your party runs smoothly we can help to control traffic use in your road by providing road closure signs at the entrance(s) of the street. We will arrange this on completion of a successful application.

Safety at street parties

We do not want to be the fun police but we do want you to be safe at the party. To ensure that risks at your event are minimised we recommend that you discuss key risks amongst the organisers and residents in advance.

  • accidents, slips and falls
  • burns such as on a BBQ
  • electricity
  • rain and other water
  • damage to equipment or breakages

Consider the following important advice:

  • Make sure that emergency vehicles can get access to the road at all times.
  • Make someone responsible for lifting any road closure barriers to allow vehicular access in the event of an emergency.
  • Make sure any electrical equipment is properly earthed and connected to a circuit breaker.
  • Make sure all temporary structures such as marquees and tents are safely secured.
  • Ensure a first aid box is available
  • Use plastic bottles and cups where possible to avoid accidents

We suggest that you agree in advance that everyone should take responsibility for themselves and watch out for each other, especially children and other vulnerable people.

Is there a charge for holding a street party?

At present there is no fee payable to us for holding a street party. There is a fee for large events and those held for a commercial purpose, but small events (i.e. Street Parties and Community Events) are exempt from any fee for a road closure.

Do I need Public Liability Insurance?

Although Public Liability Insurance is not required for a road closure, residents are advised to consider whether they wish to take it out. Further advice on this and on organising a street party in general is available from the national specialist group Streets Alive via www.streetparty.org.uk. We ask you to consider all of the risks and to read and complete the application form sections carefully.

Noise control

Although most residents may want to attend your street party, it is likely that not all residents in the surrounding areas will want to be disturbed by it, particularly in relation to noise.

If there are residential properties nearby, here are a few handy hints to try to ensure that everyone is happy with the event:

  1. Notify any near neighbours of your event, the time it will finish and a name and telephone number for them to contact if they are disturbed by it.
  2. If you have to talk louder against any music, then it is probably too loud for neighbours.
  3. The level of noise acceptable in the middle of the afternoon might not be as acceptable at 9pm at night. Therefore make sure the noise level is lowered later in the evening when children or other local residents might be trying to sleep.
  4. Ensure that partying does not carry on outside the area of your event and that partygoers consider neighbouring residents when they leave.
  5. If you are having fireworks then let them off earlier in the evening and not too late so that everyone can enjoy them.

Need ideas for holding your party?

GOV.UK: your guide to holding a street party 

The Street Party Site: handy check lists and top tips 

The Big Lunch: ideas for games and activities 

If you have any further questions, please call 020 8359 3555 or email us at HighwaysCorrespondence@Barnet.gov.uk

Rate this page