Activity on the move
- Parks, sport and leisure
Walking a great way to explore your local area and make friends. It is also a fantastic opportunity to get more exercise in to your day, helping to improve your health and wellbeing.
Health walks in Barnet parks
Enjoy a stroll around some of our beautiful parks and open spaces by taking part in one (or more) of the weekly organised health walks.
Barnet’s Health Walks programme is suitable for anyone aged 18 and over and is led by qualified and experienced instructors, creating a friendly atmosphere for everyone to enjoy.
Seven Health Walks are delivered each week in Barnet and are graded for their difficulty to help you find a walk that’s suitable for you
|Monday||9.30am||10.30am||Woodside Park, N20 (meet at the
junction of Laurel View and Laurel Way
at the gate to Whetstone Stray)
|Tuesday||9.30am||10.30am||Hampstead Heath, NW11 (meet at
North End Road, top entrance by café
and disabled car park, Golders Hill)
|Wednesday||9.30am||10.30am||Friary Park, N12 (meet at gate in
Torrington Park opposite Ashurst Way
- Torrington Park)
|Thursday||9.30am||10.30am||Hampstead Heath, NW11 (Heath
Extension meets opposite Hampstead Way)
|Saturday||9.30am||10.30am||Woodside Park, N12 (meet at the entrance
to Dollis Valley Walk opposite Chanctonbury
Way - Finchley Central – Southover)
|Sunday||9am||10am||Orange Tree Public House/Totteridge,
N20 (meet outside the Public House -
|Sunday||10.30am||11.30am||Hampstead Heath, NW11 (meet at the
top of the Heath Extension on Wildwood
Road, 20 metres from Hampstead Way
Pricing for walks
Single walk £2.80
• Block book 10 walks for £22.40 or £18 if you are aged 60 years and over (proof required e.g. drivers license or a document containing date of birth)
• Payable on the day by cash or cheque on the day
Get your first Health Walk for FREE and save a further 10 per cent on block bookings with a FAB Card. To register for your card, visit www.better.org.uk/fab-card
The FAB card from Better Leisure provides discounts on sport and leisure activities
How to get started and what you need to know
- No pre-booking required, just turn up and walk
- Dogs are not invited to the walks as other people may not feel comfortable around animals
- Wear appropriate walking shoes that are comfortable, for example, trainers or sturdy boots. We recommend you wear clothing that you can freely move in and dress accordingly for the great British weather.
- Your Health Walk Instructor will safely lead the group around the park/open space observing all health and safety protocols.
- All of Barnet’s Health Walk instructors are qualified and incredibly friendly and will be on hand to provide some useful warm up, cool down and stretching tips to keep you in tip top form.
The benefits of walking
• strengthens your bones and muscles
• improves your balance and coordination
• improves your mood and wellbeing
• helps to maintain a healthy bodyweight
• helps to keep your heart strong
• helps you to meet new people
What some of our health walkers have to say
Daphne, a Barnet resident who joined her local Health Walk eight years ago when her husband became unwell, found the walks therapeutic and say they helped her to feel supported during a difficult time.
“The mental benefits of the walks, have helped me cope with my husband's terminal illness, and consequently through bereavement. I enjoy the social camaraderie, and the walks keep me supple.”
“I enjoy seeing the changing environment with the seasons, the fitness aspects attached, and the valuable exchange of ideas which stimulate my hobbies”
“The walks are accessible to most people, and the physical improvements I noticed, give me confidence to try other forms of exercise. This has helped me lose weight, and prevent depression.”
“I find the walks invigorating, connecting and social. They give me knowledge of my local area and lovely places to walk where I wouldn’t venture on my own.”
It’s never been easier to join a Health Walk, however if you have any questions please contact the team e: email@example.com t: 0208 359 6314.
Want to walk more?
For information on other organised Walks in Barnet please visit the London Sport Activity Finder
If you would rather walk at your own leisure, or fit more walking into your week, take advantage of:
• Active Trails pre-plotted routes of 1km, 2km and 5km
• Dollis Valley Green Walk: boasting 10 miles of beautiful scenery
• Walk London provides even more information on organised walking initiatives in and around the Capital.
Barnet are fortunate to offer two Parkrun events, providing a great opportunity to enjoy a weekly FREE organised timed run that is suitable for all abilities.
Whether you are interested in taking part as an established runner, wannabe runner or simply to improve your health and fitness, then parkrun is for you.
Oak Hill Parkrun
Saturdays, 9am at Oak Hill Park
Suitable for adults (minimum age 14+ years)
Register at www.parkrun.org.uk/oakhill
Friary Park Junior Parkrun
Sundays, 9am at Friary Park
Suitable for 4 – 14 years (families welcome)
Register at - http://www.parkrun.org.uk/events/juniorevents/
If you are thinking of taking your running to the next level and want to be part of a friendly club check out one of the following
• Barnet & District Athletics Club
• Shaftesbury Barnet Harriers Athletics Club
- Increase your motivation to exercise
- Help make Barnet a better place to live
- Connect with great people and projects
- Helping older people with one off tasks
- Start doing a weekly run to see an isolated elderly person
• Sport & Physical Activity team
• North London Business Park, Oakleigh Road South N11 1NP
• Tel: 0208 3596314
• Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sport & Physical Activity team
- North London Business Park, Oakleigh Road South N11 1NP
- Tel: 0208 3596314
- Email: email@example.com