Fit and active Barnet
- Public health
Being fit and active doesn’t have to be costly. There are many things you can do that don’t cost a penny.
- Being active is easy, fun and social
- Building activity into your day keeps your heart healthy, reduces your risk of serious illness and strengthens muscles and bones.
- It can also be a great way of reducing your stress levels and lifting your mood if you’re feeling down.
Ways of getting more active
- active travel - walking and cycling at least some of the way to shops, school or work. Or try taking the stairs instead of the escalator or lift
- active recreation - dance, gardening, DIY, rambling, health walks, walking the dog, cleaning the car
- fitness activity - joining fitness classes, power walking, jogging, cycling for fitness
- competitive and adventurous activity - team and individual sports, outdoor pursuits
- occupational activity - post deliverers, newspaper round, construction or landscaping work
- active play – free range activity in parks, streets and playgrounds
- reducing sitting – less TV and computer games.
Parks and open spaces
Why not try making use of one of our many parks and open spaces?
Barnet residents are fortunate that 41% of Barnet has green space coverage, with a park or open space within one mile of the majority of homes.
Marked and measured routes
We have installed marked and measured routes – pre-plotted routes for walking, running or cycling – in and around nine of our parks.
The gyms provide workout stations which aim to improve different areas, such as strength, flexibility or toning. They are suitable for all ages 14+ and abilities.
Enjoy a stroll around many of Barnet's beautiful parks and open spaces by participating in an instructor led walk.
Exercise at home
Alternatively if you would rather exercise in your home, or getting out and about is difficult for you, why not try out the exercises in the downloadable brochure below, devised by our partners at Better.
- Barnet and Harrow Public Health Team
- North London Business Park (NLBP)
Oakleigh Road South
London N11 1NP
- Tel: 0208 3596314
- Email: email@example.com