Business waste collections
- Rubbish, waste and recycling
Business waste includes any waste coming from:
- Construction and demolition
- Any other commercial activity, including any that you run from your home
We do not collect waste from:
- Transport, communications or utilities buildings
Duty of care
Every business has a 'duty of care' to deal responsibly with any waste it produces.
Waste Transfer Note
You must provide a written description of the waste to the person/company who removes it. This is called a 'Waste Transfer Note' and must be completed annually by both parties involved in the transfer. All reasonable steps must be taken to store waste safely and securely.
Council's waste collection service
We offer a competitively priced and efficient commercial waste collection service, available to:
- all business premises
- schools and colleges
The service is provided on pre-payment of charges which reflect the volume, type and frequency of the service required. We offer collection services appropriate to your circumstances and can provide a variety of bin sizes (240 litre, 360 litre, 660 litre and 1100 litre) as well as Pay-As-You-Go bag service if you cannot store a bin.
We cannot collect clinical or hazardous waste. From time to time, other types of refuse may be excluded from this service.
- the most competitive and cost effective prices in Barnet
- no hidden costs
- discounts available – subject to certain criteria being met
- no charge for your Duty of Care transfer notice
- based in the Barnet, outstanding local knowledge
- available to all businesses in Barnet
- we understand the needs of your business
- compliant with all waste regulations
- customer support and help via phone and email
- a choice of sacks or containers available depending on your needs and circumstances
- we can collect your general waste up to 5 days a week
- we treat all customers as valued Barnet businesses – we have a genuine stake in supporting economicgrowth and a clean and safe environment across the borough for businesses and residents
- we will shortly be implementing a commercial recycling service which will help your business
- save money
Can I take my business waste to a recycling centre?
No. Any waste or recycling produced from a business (even if this is run from your own home) must be disposed of at a suitably licensed site, paying the disposal charges, or collected by a licensed waste carrier, such as the council. Reuse and Recycling Centres, such as the Summers Lane site are not licensed to accept business waste.
Right Waste Right Place
We are proud ambassadors of Right Waste Right Place which aims to help sole traders and small businesses understand their responsibilities around waste and recycling. The easy to use website has case studies, need-to-know cards, simple guides and videos.
Visit the Business Recycling page to find out more information about how to recycle business waste.
You can also find out ways you can reduce the amount of waste you produce by viewing the Business Waste Prevention guide provided by the North London Waste Authority (NLWA).
I am a householder. Does this affect me?
Yes. If you hire a company to do anything that produces waste (such as gardening, knocking down a wall, or installing a new kitchen) you need to check what they will do with your waste and whether they offer to dispose of it on your behalf.
This also applies to metal waste that you choose to leave outside your house in the hope that someone takes it. If the waste is later found to be fly-tipped and it can be traced back to you, this leaves you vulnerable to further action.
We offer a special collection service for the removal of larger items. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 020 8359 4600 for further details.
Residents can check whether a company is registered as a 'carrier of waste' by visiting the Environment Agency online register or by calling 0800 80 70 60 (a 24 hour service).
You can also:
- Ask to see a copy of their registration certificate and keep proof of this.
- Ask for a receipt
- Ask where they are taking your waste
- Keep a note of their name and vehicle registration
- Be wary if the price seems too good to be true
- Report suspicious operators to the Enivronment Agency online or by calling 0800 80 70 60
- Street Based services
- Oakleigh Depot
Oakleigh Road South
London, N11 1HJ
- Tel: 020 8359 4600
- FAX: 0870 889 7459