Bin collection issues
- Rubbish, waste and recycling
My bin wasn't collected
Check the following reasons for non collection:
1. Your correct bin collection dates.
Remember that garden waste is collected fortnightly.
2. A bin hanger was left on your bin
Collection crews will use bin hangers to inform you of the reason your bin was not collected.
3. Was your bin placed on the property boundary, with the lid closed by 6.30am?
We can't empty bins not correctly presented for collection. We are fully aware that it's not always possible to put all bins on the boundary of your property therefore there's flexibility in place to change the point of collection for those residents that are affected. If you believe this is an issue for you please contact Street Based Services on 020 8359 4600 and this will be investigated.
4. Severe weather conditions.
In severe weather conditions we may be unable to collect your waste and recycling. Please check the main Rubbish, Waste and Recycling pages and our Facebook and Twitter feeds for up-to-date information or contact Street Based Services using the contact details below.
5. Your bin was too heavy or overfilled.
Your bin will not be emptied if it is too heavy or overfilled. In some cases, overly heavy bins can cause injury to our crew or damage to the vehicle. Please remove any heavy items from your bin to enable us to empty it on your next scheduled collection day.
6. Items were stuck inside the bin.
For health and safety reasons, crews are not allowed to manually remove any items which are stuck in the bins. Please loosen or remove any items that are wedged or frozen in your bin to enable us to empty it on your next scheduled collection day.
7. Your bin contained incorrect items.
Please check that there were no unacceptable items in your bin (sometimes called 'contamination'). Our crews will put a hanger on your bin explaining why the bin may not have been emptied:
- Green bin - should only contain flowers, leaves, weeds, grass cuttings, hedge trimmings and small branches.
- Blue bin - should only contain clean recycling - mixed paper and cardboard, mixed glass bottles and jars, cartons, food tins and drink cans, and household plastic packaging
- Brown bin - should only contain any cooked and uncooked food, either placed in the bin loose or in a compostable liner bearing the seedling logo. Plastic bags will not be collected. For a full list of what can be recycled in your bins please download this A-Z list.
- Black (refuse) bin - should only contain items that cannot be recycled such as plastic film / wrapping, polystyrene, nappies and pet waste. It cannot contain items such as builders' waste, car batteries, oil or paint tins. Check whether contents of your black bin can go in your blue bin. Most of your waste can be recycled, so see which items from your black bin could go in your blue bin. Remember, food waste should go in your brown food waste bin.
- Please remove any incorrect items from your bin before the next collection day. Most waste that can't be collected from your bins may be taken to the Summers Lane Reuse and Recycling Centre where you can dispose of it free of charge. You can also recycle items at various bring bank sites across the borough.
- Wait for you next scheduled collection day, ensuring the correct items are placed in the correct bin.
- If you are unable to wait for your next collection day you can contact us using the contact details below to arrange a special collection. This is a chargeable service.
Please ensure your bins can be accessed by crews to enable collection. Any bins blocked by excess waste (for example, bags), vehicles or other obstructions will not be collected. Please contact Street Based Services using the contact details below if further assistance is required.
9. Damaged/split bin
We ask residents to help the service by looking after their bins. Please don't fill bins with soil, concrete, hardcore or heavy waste and ensure lids are kept closed. Safely store bins after collection away from public pathways. Maintenance and replacement through fair wear and tear will be Barnet's responsibility. To arrange for a damaged bin to be replaced use the new, additional, replacement bin or sack form or contact Street Based Services using the contact details below.
10. Non Barnet bin
We are unable to collect bins other than those provided by the London Borough of Barnet for waste and recycling collections.
Other bin issues
I require help putting my bins out (Assisted Collections).
We understand that some residents have physical difficulties putting their waste and recycling bins out for collection so we offer an assisted collections service to enable you to participate in the service. If you need help, please complete the assisted collection form or contact Street Based Services using the contact details below.
I have excess waste or recycling.
Please help us to reduce the amount of waste sent for disposal, so that we can reduce the negative environmental effects and high costs from waste disposal. We understand that sometimes there are weeks when you have more waste and recycling than others. All waste for collection must be contained within the appropriate container, we cannot collect bagged or unbagged excess waste placed beside your containers. If you have excess recycling you can:
- Take recycling to one of Barnet's bring bank recycling points. You can see where your nearest recycling point is by checking the bring bank map.
- Take recycling to the Summers Lane Reuse and Recycling Centre
- Wait for your next scheduled bin day, ensuring all mixed recycling is contained in the blue bin
If you have excess waste that cannot be recycled or excess garden waste you can:
- Take to the Summers Lane Reuse and Recycling Centre where you can dispose of it free of charge
- Contact us using the contact details below to arrange a special collection. This is a chargeable service
- Wait for your next scheduled bin day, ensuring all rubbish is contained in the black bin or garden waste is contained in your garden waste bin.
If you frequently have more recycling waste than fits in your bin we will:
- Provide a second blue bin free of charge.
- Provide a second brown food waste bin for outdoors free of charge.
If you frequently have more waste that cannot be recycled or require a second garden waste bin we can:
- Provide a second 240 litre black bin for £172.94 (please note only households of 6 or more can apply for an additional black bin).
- Provide a second 240 litre garden waste bin for £56.71.
Please complete the new, additional, replacement bin or sack form or contact Street Based Services using the contact details below.
- Spillage. If you have witnessed spillage of materials onto the road or pavement as a direct result of our crews' collections, please contact Street based services on the contact details on the right and this spillage will be cleared the same day wherever possible.
- I do not have any bins at my property and would like some new bins. If you have recently moved house or are new the borough, you can find out what type of service you can receive depending on your property type. Check our House service page and Flat service pages to find out which service you need and then complete the new, additional, replacement bin or sack form. For a small number of residents a sack collection will be provided instead of a blue bin service. If you are unsure what type of service you require please contact Street Based Services using the contact details below.
Bank holiday collections
Your bins are collected on your normal collection day throughout the year including bank holidays. However, during the Christmas period bin collections may be subject to change. Any changes to bin collection schedules during the Christmas period will be advertised online and in the local press. Residents can also contact us by calling 020 8359 4600 for Christmas collection information.
If none of the reasons below apply, your bin may have been missed in error by collection crews. Please complete the missed bin form. You can also contact Street Based Services on 020 8359 4600 and this will be investigated.
If your missed bin report is confirmed by the Operations team they will aim to collect it by the end of the next working day. Please leave the bin out on the boundary of your property whilst the report is being investigated as crews may return to collect from 6.30am the following working day. Bins will be returned to the point of collection.
- Street Based services
- Oakleigh Depot
Oakleigh Road South
London, N11 1HJ
- Tel: 020 8359 4600
- Opening hours
- Mon - Thurs 9.00am to 5.15pm; Fri 9.00am to 5.00pm