Flats recycling and waste bin collections
- Rubbish, waste and recycling
Different properties have a different selection of bins. This page is for residents who live in blocks with 6 or more flats.
Please see the Houses waste and recycling service if you live in a flat in a converted house or a block with 5 or less flats.
Your bin collection dates
Flat blocks receive weekly refuse collections and most receive weekly recycling collections.
You can check your new collection day here by entering your postcode.
Recycling - blue or green bins
If you live in a block with 6 or more properties you have blue or green recycling bins for all your mixed dry recycling, including:
- food tins and drinks cans
- household plastic packaging
- mixed glass bottles and jars
- mixed paper and cardboard (including loose shredded paper)
Remember to place your items in the recycling bin loose. No plastic or black bags please!
Once one bin is full, you can move on to the next bin to recycle your waste.
What you SHOULD NOT put in your recycling bins
- nappies: cannot be recycled and should be placed in the refuse bin at all times
- food waste: this should not be placed in your recycling bins
- textiles: do not place clothes and textiles in your recycling bin. Textiles can be taken to the Summers Lane Reuse and Recycling Centre, charity shops or textile recycling banks. If you cannot recycle your textiles in any of these ways, contact us using the details below.
- wood: please do not place this in your recycling bin. Wood can be recycled at the Summers Lane Reuse and Recycling Centre.
- electrical items: you should not place electrical items in your recycling bin. These items can be recycled at the Summers Lane Reuse and Recycling Centre. Small electrical items can also be recycled at various electrical recycling banks across the borough.
- polystyrene: This cannot be recycled, please place in your refuse bin
- clinical waste: do not put any clinical waste items such as syringes, needles or other sharp items in your recycling bin as these are extremely dangerous in the manual processing of materials. These items cannot be recycled. You can arrange a clinical waste collection by completing the online form.
- batteries: these can be taken to the Summers Lane Reuse and Recycling Centre. Most supermarkets have battery drop off points.
- plastic bags: please do not place these in your blue bin as they are difficult to process. Select local supermarkets offer in-store collection points for recycling plastic bags.
You can download an A-Z list of what can be recycled and where.
You can also download and print a Flats Recycling Poster to put up on a noticeboard in your flat to encourage others to recycle.
If you do not have recycling bins at your flat block please contact us on 020 8359 4600 with your managing agents/landlord's contact details.
Flats above shops
If you live in a flat above a shop you may be provided with either a recycling bin or recycling sacks for your mixed recycling. We will need to assess your location first to confirm which collection method would be most appropriate and where collections will take place. If you would like to receive recycling collections, please contact us using the details below.
Refuse - Black or grey bin
All items you cannot recycle should go in your refuse bin, including:
- plastic film/wrapping
- nappies and pet waste
- anything that cannot be recycled
We are currently reviewing best practice with other local authorities in regards to a food waste service for flats. Look out for information in the near future in mailings, local papers and this website. You can also follow us on Twitter and Facebook for the latest updates on Recycling and Waste in Barnet.
- Street Based services
- Oakleigh Depot
Oakleigh Road South
London, N11 1HJ
- Tel: 020 8359 4600
- Opening hours
- Mon - Thurs 9.00am to 5.15pm; Fri 9.00am to 5.00pm