Black bin - refuse waste
Your black refuse bin is collected weekly. Place your black refuse bin at the boundary of your property by 6am on your collection day.
Your refuse bin should only contain items that cannot be recycled such as the following:
- Crisp packets
- Pet waste
- Un-recyclable rubbish
- Plastic film / wrapping
- Food waste (until further notice)
Check whether contents of your black bin can go in your blue bin for recycling as most of your waste can be recycled.
What you SHOULD NOT put in your black bin:
- Builders' waste - any waste generated as a result of building works undertaken at your property by a contractor should be taken away by them and not placed in your refuse bin.
You can take six standard rubble bags (or equivalent) of hardcore/rubble can to the Summers Lane Reuse and Recycling Centre in Summers Lane, N12 0RF, no more than once per month per household and only from work that you have done yourself.
- Asbestos - contact the City of London household hazardous waste collection and disposal service to book a collection online or call 020 7332 3433.
- Cement asbestos from households can also be left at the Hornsey Street Re-use and Recycling Centre, Hornsey Street, London N7 8HU by appointment only. Telephone 020 8884 5645 or email email@example.com to arrange an appointment.
- Car batteries - these can be taken to the Summers Lane Reuse and Recycling Centre complete and undamaged.
- Oil - can be taken to the Summers Lane Reuse and Recycling Centre in a sealed container and emptied into the appropriate container at the site.
- Paint/Paint tins - unused paint can be taken to the Summers Lane Reuse and Recycling Centre. Empty metal paint tins can be recycled at the centre. Empty plastic paint containers can be disposed of as household waste at the site.
- Energy saving light bulbs - see advice below:
- Street based services
- Oakleigh Depot
Oakleigh Road South
London, N11 1HJ
- Tel: 020 8359 4600
- Opening hours
- Mon - Thurs 9.00am to 5.15pm; Fri 9.00am to 5.00pm