Brown bin/caddy - food waste
If you live in a house, converted flat in a house or a small block of flats with 5 or less properties you will have food waste collections.
You have a 7 litre food waste caddy for your kitchen and a 23 litre outdoor food waste bin. Your caddy is for you to collect unwanted food and leftovers in your kitchen. You can empty this into your larger food waste bin that is kept outside. The brown bin has a lockable lid.
We will collect your brown food waste bin weekly.
You can recycle all cooked and uncooked food:
- bread, pasta, and rice
- fruit and veg
- meat and bones
- tea bags and coffee grounds
- mouldy or out-of-date food
Please remove all food packaging before placing food into your bin or caddy.
What you SHOULD NOT put in your brown bin
- plastic bags: these cannot be recycled. Some local supermarkets offer in-store collection points for recycling plastic bags.
- nappies: these cannot be recycled and should be placed in your black bin at all times
- animal faeces/pet waste: please place in your black bin
- cooking oil: this can be taken to the Summers Lane Reuse and Recycling Centre
- wood: please take to the Summers Lane Reuse and Recycling Centre
- newspaper: please don't use this to line your caddy or to wrap your food waste. Only use compostable liners or put the food in loose.
- tissue paper: please place in your black bin
- large meat carcasses: these can be placed in a bag in your black bin or taken to the Summers Lane Reuse and Recycling Centre and disposed of as household waste
Please ensure you use correct compostable liners in your caddy which should have the seedling logo. You can also place the food loose in your caddy or brown bin without a liner.
Closing and locking your brown bin
- empty kitchen caddy: take bag from caddy and tie it up
- open outdoor food waste bin by moving handle to rear of the bin and put tied bag in
- close and lock food waste bin by closing lid and pulling handle to upright or front position.
Please remember to place your locked brown bin on the boundary of your property by 6.30am on your bin collection date
Your brown bin is collected by the same vehicle that collects your blue bin but tipped into a seperate compartment on the vehicle.
Compostable liners are widely available at most supermarkets, many hardware stores, and through online suppliers. We can only accept liners with the seedling logo, as these will break down during the composting process. Here are some of our recommended suppliers:
If you don't wish to use liners, you can place your food waste loose into your brown bin for collection.
What happens to your food waste?
Barnet's food waste is sent for processing in an anaerobic digestion plant. You can find out more about this process by viewing this video.
Food waste recycling tips
Here are a number of handy tips to help you recycle your food waste.
Brown bin collections during warm weather
Follow these tips to minimise any problems while using the food waste recycling collection service during warm weather:
- Place any food waste to be recycled immediately into your food waste caddy in your kitchen and empty this daily into your external brown food waste bin.
- Clear out all food that requires recycling from your fridge the night before collection day
- Try to keep the food waste bin out of direct sunshine in really hot weather
- Keep the bin lid locked at all times by placing the handle in the upright position
- If you are using compostable liners, please note that we can only accept liners with the seedling logo
- Some essential oils, such as citronella and tea tree oil are natural insect repellents. Try smearing your bin lid with one of these oils if flies are a problem but please do not use if you are pregnant
- If your food waste caddy or bin needs cleaning, you can rinse it with soap and water or a mild disinfectant.
It is advisable that you place your brown bin securely within the boundary of your property on non-collection days. This is particularly important in windy conditions to avoid them becoming lost or damaged.
Food waste recycling in the home
Here are some great examples of people recycling their food waste at home. Take a look these short videos for some handy tips!
- Street Based Services
- Oakleigh Depot
Oakleigh Road South
London, N11 1HJ
- Tel: 020 8359 4600
- Opening hours
- Mon - Thurs 9.00am to 5.15pm; Fri 9.00am to 5.00pm