Green bin - garden waste
Your green wheelie bin is collected fortnightly and is used to to recycle your garden waste. This is an optional service.
Place your green bin at the boundary of your property by 6am on your collection day.
Garden waste you can recycle:
- grass cuttings
- hedge trimmings and tree prunings
- branches up to 20cm in diameter (8") and under 60cm (24") in length
All garden waste should be placed in your bin loose, not in bags.
Do NOT put in your green bin
- food waste: please place in your black bin until further notice.
- nappies: these cannot be recycled and should be placed in your black bin at all times
- black bags or plastic bags: garden waste should be placed in your bin loose as bags cannot be recycled.
- animal faeces/pet waste/used or unused pet bedding/litter: please place in your black bin
- soil: this cannot be placed in your green bin but can be taken to Summers Lane Reuse and Recycling Centre. Only six standard rubble bags or equivalent can be taken to the centre - no more than once per month per household will be accepted.
- large branches: these can be taken to the Summers Lane Reuse and Recycling Centre
- cooking oil: this can be taken to the Summers Lane Reuse and Recycling Centre
- large meat carcasses: these can be placed in a bag in your black bin or taken to the Summers Lane Reuse and Recycling Centre and disposed of as household waste
- paper and cardboard: please place in your blue bin for recycling
Request a green bin
If you don't have a green bin at your property and would like to recycle your garden waste, use the new, additional or replacement bin form to order a green bin.
What happens to your garden waste?
The majority of the organic waste collected in Barnet is garden waste. Garden waste is either processed in an in-vessel composting facility or sent for outdoor processing. The resulting compost is used in agriculture.
Collections during cold weather
During very cold weather the contents of green bins can become frozen and stuck inside the bin – preventing the contents from being fully emptied by your collection crew.
For health and safety reasons, crews are not allowed to manually remove any items which are stuck in the bins. Please loosen or remove any items that are wedged or frozen in your bin to enable us to empty it on your next scheduled collection day.
- Street based services
- Oakleigh Depot
Oakleigh Road South
London, N11 1HJ
- Tel: 020 8359 4600
- Opening hours
- Mon - Thurs 9.00am to 5.15pm; Fri 9.00am to 5.00pm