Oakleigh Road South vehicle depot
The depot is the operational facility and home for some of the council’s environmental services teams including street cleansing, waste and recycling and parks maintenance. These services were previously located at the old depot site in Mill Hill, which is being redeveloped for much needed housing.
The Oakleigh Depot primarily consists of low-rise buildings, similar in appearance to warehouses. It includes a maintenance facility for environmental services vehicles as well as an office for our staff. Council vehicles are also parked at the site. Crucially, the number of large HGV movements using the site and surrounding roads will be approximately 22 per cent fewer per day than when Winter’s Haulage operated from the same location.
We are conscious that the Oakleigh Depot is located in a residential area and we remain committed to ensuring that noise and disruption is kept to a minimum.
What’s on site?
The depot consists of:
- A fully secure site with a 24 hour staffed gatehouse
- A covered bulking facility for recyclable material – but there will be no treatment of recyclables at the new depot
- A maintenance building for the council’s vehicle fleet
- Parking for service vehicles and staff cars
- Wash bays
- A fuel pump
- A two-storey office
- MOT station
What is a bulking facility?
The bulking facility is a fully enclosed building with roller shutter doors that will be used to temporarily store recycling collected from households within the borough. The blue bin recyclables (i.e. glass, paper, cans, plastic and cardboard) get deposited in the bulking facility and then loaded into an articulated lorry by mechanical shovel and removed from site before the end of each day.
What we will do to ‘be a good neighbour’
We are committed to keeping noise and disruption to the surrounding area to a minimum. As a result, we have put in place new procedures which are designed to keep the site as quiet as possible. This includes:
- Staggering the arrival of staff and start times of the services to minimise disruption from vehicle movements and noise.
- All service vehicles are required to refuel or attend the wash bays on returning to site at the end of the daily operations so that our vehicles are clean and ready to go in the morning with minimal disruption.
- Our service vehicles are not be permitted to leave their parking area until the start of operations for each service
- We won’t leave engines running on site while the vehicle is not in use
- Service vehicles will be reverse parked into allocated parking spaces at the end of the day to ensure they are front facing for the next day of service. This will minimise noise nuisance at the start of the day.
- Staff are be trained and briefed to ensure that they are considerate to local residents and that noise is kept to a minimum.
Hours of operation
Monday – Friday
5.30am – 9.30pm
5.30am – 3pm
* reduced cleansing service only
7am – 3pm*
Contact the council
We are committed to minimising the impact of the new depot facility on surrounding residents and businesses. However, if you do have any concerns and would like to get in touch with the council about depot operations, visit: