Loading, please wait

In-year school admissions

  • Schools and education

To find a school in your area, please look at the Schools directory.
Barnet community schools have defined catchment areas; these can be viewed on the school priority maps.

Applying for a school place

You should make an in-year admission application if

  • your child lives in Barnet and does not currently have a school place
  • your child has recently moved to Barnet from abroad or elsewhere and needs a school place
  • your child has a school place but you want to transfer them to a school in Barnet

In-year admissions application form

Documents you need to provide

  • scanned copies of 2 utility bills or scanned copies of one utility bill and your Council Tax document
  • a scanned copy of your child’s short birth certificate or a scanned copy of your child’s passport

Supplementary information forms

Voluntary aided (faith) schools, and some foundation schools and academies, will also ask you to complete a Supplementary Information Form (SIF). SIFs can be downloaded from school websites and should be returned to directly the school to which you are applying.

Exceptional medical or social needs

Some schools give priority to children with exceptional needs. If there is an exceptional medical or social reason why you want your child to attend a particular school, it may be taken into account. You will need to provide written evidence to support your application. This will normally be a letter from a doctor, social worker or other appropriate professional. The letter must set out the reasons why that particular school is most suitable and the difficulties that would be faced if the child attends another school. If you are applying for a place at a Barnet community primary school you must also complete the Exceptional Medical-Social Circumstances Form (PDF).

Changing your child’s school

Changing schools is not usually in a child’s best interests and a decision to do so should not be taken without careful consideration. We recommend that you discuss your reasons with the head teacher at the current school before requesting a transfer. If there are things you are not happy with, you may be able to resolve your concerns without changing school. If your child tells you that they are being bullied or not getting on with other pupils, you should speak to your child’s Form Tutor or Head of Year first, to try and resolve any problems your child may be having.

Changing schools is particularly disruptive for children in Years 10 and 11, because other schools may not offer the same subjects as the current school, or they may have a different syllabus or examination board.

You also need to bear in mind that most schools in Barnet are full and we may not be able to offer you the school you want.

Waiting lists

Waiting lists for Barnet schools close at the end of July each year.

If you want your child to remain on a waiting list for the 2019/20 academic year you must submit a new In-year admissions application form.

For information and advice on admission to schools outside Barnet, please contact the local authority for the borough where the school is located.

Contact details for neighbouring school admissions


Local Authority
020 8937 3110
020 7974 1625
020 8379 5501
020 8489 1000
020 8901 2620
0300 123 4043


  • School admissions
  • Building 4
    North London Business Park
    Oakleigh Road South
    N11 1NP
  • Tel: 020 8359 7651
  • FAX: 0870 889 6799

Download documents

Rate this page