Primary school admissions in Barnet
- Schools and education
Find a primary school in your area
See the Schools directory to find a primary school in your area.
Community school catchment area
To see the catchment areas for our community schools, please see our school priority maps.
Please note: Ashmole Primary (pupils aged 4 to 11 years) and Ashmole Academy (pupils aged 11 to 18 years) are two separate schools.
Starting school in Barnet
Starting school is an exciting time for both parents and children. You should be thinking about your child starting reception class in the September following their third birthday.
Full details of the application process can be found in our Primary School Admissions Guide 2017 (PDF 10MB). The guide includes:
- school admission arrangements
- how to choose a school
- the application timetable
- contact details for Barnet primary schools.
Admissions for entry into school in September 2017
If your child was born between 1 September 2012 and 31 August 2013 you will need to apply to your home council for a place in a primary school for the 2017/2018 academic year.
You should submit your application online using eAdmissions.
- 1 September 2016 online application process opens
- 15 January 2017 closing date for applications
- 15 January 2017 applications submitted after this date will be treated as' late' and will be processed from May 2017 onwards
- 18 April 2017 online results will be available in the evening
You must not apply using this process if your child has special educational needs (SEN), with an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP).
Making your application: important points
- you can list a maximum of six schools in the order you prefer them; there is no advantage in listing only one school
- you are advised to include at least one local community school as one of your preferences to ensure that your child has a better chance of securing a school place
- you can select schools within and outside your home borough
- make sensible choices to improve your chances of securing a place at a selected school
- if your first choice school cannot be offered, you will receive information on how places were allocated, the waiting list procedure and how to appeal against the decision not to offer your child a place at your chosen school(s)
- we will retain waiting lists for the oversubscribed schools and make a second round of offers from the waiting lists at the end of May 2017 (please remember that only a small number of places are expected to become available at oversubscribed schools, after 18 April)
- after the second round of offers in May 2017, further offers will be made from school waiting lists as and when places become available
- if your child has not been offered a place at any of your preferred schools and you do not wish to accept a place at the alternative school offered, you will become responsible for securing suitable education for your child.
Neighbouring council school admissions
020 8937 3110
020 7974 1625
020 8379 5501
020 8489 1000
020 8901 2620
0300 123 4043
- School admissions
- Building 2
North London Business Park
Oakleigh Road South
- Tel: 020 8359 7651
- FAX: 0870 889 6799
- Opening hours
- Enquiries: Contact us online