Loading, please wait

SEN Secondary School Admissions

  • Schools and education

Primary–Secondary Transfer for children with statements of special educational need

There is no on-line application for a school if your child has a statement of SEN.

This does not mean that you will not have the right to tell us which school you want your child to attend. But we will ask you to request a particular school, when we send you an amended statement between October and December.

We will use the latest annual review reports to amend the statement so that it has more up to date information about your child. Some statements may be converted to Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plans. You will receive a letter about this in September.

When a draft EHC Plan or statement has been written, your SEN officer will send it to you and ask you to fill in a form to request a particular school. We will explain to you about what requesting a particular schoolmeans, and you will be able to contact us to discuss this.

When we have received your form we will contact the school that you have named and ask them to tell us how they will make provision for your child.

We will be writing to all parents of children with statements who are in year 6 in September to explain what happens in more detail. We will include a timetable of what happens when.

Children with statements are allocated their school places by February 15th. This means that they are allocated places in mainstream schools in advance other pupils being allocated places.


When you are thinking about secondary schools, it is important to consider the distance and arrangements for getting your child there safely and on time.  In most cases, it is better to keep children within their local area, with their friends and their local community.

You need to bear in mind that Barnet council does not automatically provide travel assistance to and from school for a child with SEN.  If the SEN referral and assessment team identify a school locally that can meet a child's needs and the parent identifies a school which is further away, assisted travel will not normally be available.  

Visiting Schools and their Open Evenings 

We advise you to make the time to visit schools you are considering, and attend the open evenings. You can find the details of open evenings on this schedule.

Please note that, should you be considering an application to a school in another local authority area, you still need to tell us which school, when we send you the amended statement and form.


If you have any questions, please e mail us on senadmin@barnet.gov.uk or telephone 020 8359 7717.

Independent Information and Advice

You can get independent information and advice from  Barnet SEND Information, Advice and Support Service on 0208 359 7637.


  • SEN performance team
  • North London Business Park (NLBP), Oakleigh Road South, London N11 1NP
  • Tel: 020 8359 2000
  • Email: sensecondarytransfer@barnet.gov.uk

Download documents

Rate this page