How the fund can help your business
London Borough of Barnet’s Temporary Town Centre Street Space Fund has been set up to help businesses make the most of the outdoor space in front of their premises, to trade from and help customers follow social distancing rules.
The space in front of a property is called street space.
If you are a town centre business, venue or community group, this fund we can support you to:
- access a fast-track street trading license for 3 months and in some cases free of charge
- get the relevant permissions to allow to to make changes to the street space in front of your premises
- design, fund and install temporary planted furniture to create a safe, attractive enclosed area
What a business street space might look like
Expanding into your outdoor street space could include using a wide pavement in front of your property for trading.
You could temporarily use your car parking spaces to create a temporary outdoor seating area for customers.
Example of an outdoor trading area:
Types of businesses the fund will support
We will support applications from businesses that:
- demonstrate how using the street space outside your property will positively contribute to the visitor and/or evening economy within your town centre.
- are willing to support us in our work to:
- improve the opportunity for visitors particularly the elderly and/or vulnerable to rest along the street
- increase access to cycle infrastructure in our town centres
- improve public access to toilet facilities and free drinking water. Through signing up to a Community Toilet Scheme and/or Water Refill Scheme.
We also look favourably on applicants who want to collaborate with neighbouring businesses and apply for the fund together.
Business eligibility and application criteria
Type of businesses that can apply:
- we will prioritise small and micro businesses and organisations, an explanation of what defines a small or micro business is in our prospectus
- franchise businesses and medium and large businesses can apply for the fund but will only be eligible for a support level fund. Full details are in our prospectus
Business application criteria:
- you must be a business or organisation located within a Barnet town centre check Barnet town centre boundaries, pages 78 to 92 in the Barnet Local Plan document
- have a premises located on the ground floor
- be legally constituted. For example, self-employed / sole trader, charity, community interest company, partnership, limited company or other
- have no previous street trading prosecutions for street trading offences or are currently under investigation for street trading offences
- have public liability insurance at a minimum of £2 million during the temporary license period
- are willing to take responsibility for the regular maintenance and upkeep of the licensed area including any street furniture or planting provided through the fund
- can provide your own street furniture such as tables and chairs within the space provided
Evidence to support your application
You will need to tell us and upload into the form or attach to your email:
- a proposal outlining why you are a suitable location, how you want to use your outdoor space, your trading hours and how your plan will not break social distancing rules for yourself and your neighbours.
- photographs showing the street space you want to temporarily extend your business onto
- photographs of tables, chairs, counter tops and other furniture you will be using
- provide evidence that public liability insurance at a minimum of £2 million is held by the applicant for the temporary license period
Full application details and information about the fund
Check our prospectus for full details about the temporary town centre street space fund including details about:
- eligibility criteria
- details of the 3 levels of funding available
- details of street furniture available such as planters and bicycle locks
- application process and assessment
- how the fund is granted
- expectations of how businesses will work with us if successful in getting the fund
Submit your application
Please email all applications with supporting evidence to firstname.lastname@example.org
Businesses with an existing street trading license
If you are a business or organisation with an existing street trading license and you want to continue using the same street space for trading and need to renew your license, you should apply for a fast-track 3 month temporary street trading license.
Businesses and organisations not located within a town centre can still apply for a fast-track 3 month temporary street trading license.
If you have any questions regarding the fund and or want to discuss your eligibility for the fund you can contact us at email@example.com