Please check this page regularly for updates on temporary parking measures in Barnet during the COVID-19 outbreak.
Changes to parking enforcement
We have relaxed parking enforcement during the COVID-19 pandemic to make sure residents who are self isolating and key workers are able to park.
Parking enforcement continues to operate against dangerous, illegal and obstructive parking.
If you do not have a parking permit
You do not need to apply for a permit or use visitor vouchers to park during the COVID-19 pandemic.
If you have a parking permit
You should continue to park as normal within marked permit bays wherever possible.
Changing details on your permit
If you need to change the vehicle on your permit or update any other details, you can still do this within your online permit account
Refunds for permits
Refunds for cancelled permits will not be processed during this time as we must prioritise critical activities. In exceptional circumstances please make contact with us at email@example.com to request a refund.
Where you can park with or without a permit
- permit holder bays (resident and business)
- shared use bays
- single yellow lines in force just for one hour at a time
Where you can park with the usual payment
- pay and display bays near shops
- car parks operated by Barnet Council
Where you cannot park
- single yellow lines operating for longer than an hour at a time
- double yellow lines
- loading bays
- Disabled Badge Holder bays
- suspended parking bays (we may have to suspend parking for emergency or health care worker use)
- dedicated disabled bays
- in front of fire stations, ambulance stations, hospital entrances and schools
- School Keep Clear markings
- on the footway (unless marked)
- on a pedestrian crossing
- anywhere that would obstruct pedestrians or other vehicles – being mindful that waste removal vehicles need more space than a car does
Health workers and other key workers
Where you can park if you are a healthcare worker or other essential public servant (you have been given ‘key worker’ status as defined by HM Government), in addition to the above provisions:
- If no permit spaces are available then a pay and display space, loading bay or single yellow line where not obstructing traffic or impeding safety with a note (handwritten, ideally on headed paper, will do) of your role
- Any council car park – again, please place a note.
Any requests to suspend parking bays are under review. We are aiming to reduce pressure on parking at this time as many people are isolating at home.
If you have an existing suspension booking, we may contact you to discuss options to cancel or postpone your booking. In cases where it is possible for works to be rescheduled we will offer you the opportunity to apply for the same restriction at a later date at no cost.
Visitor parking vouchers
We are unable to print and dispatch visitor vouchers during COVID-19 as our contact centre is prioritising critical services. You do not need to use visitor vouchers to park during COVID-19.
If you can’t find your vehicle on street
Your vehicle may have been relocated to a safe space by the Council if it was parked in obstruction or a suspended parking bay.
Contact Tow-away Removal and Clamping Enquires (TRACE). This is a free online service which is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. TRACE will advise where your vehicle has been moved to.
If you are not able to access the TRACE service online, you can call our 24 hour enforcement line on 0203 856 0020 and we will check the TRACE service on your behalf.
Blue Badge and Disabled Persons Freedom Pass
Our Contact Centre telephone lines are now closed for enquiries on Blue Badges and Disabled Persons Freedom Pass. This is because we must prioritise critical services during the COVID-19 pandemic.
If you have a Blue Badge which is due to expire, or has already expired as from 1 January 2020, you can continue to use it to park as normal during the COVID-19 pandemic. This will be the case initially until 30 September 2020.
We are continuing to process applications, renewals, and appeal cases for Blue Badges and Disabled Persons Freedom Pass but please be mindful that our usual response times may not be met. Thank you for your understanding in advance.