An IMCA's role is to:
- Represent and support the person in relation to their 'best interests'.
- Find out the views / feelings / beliefs of the person.
- Make sure that the person can participate in the decision-making process.
- Obtain & evaluate information
- Look at other courses of action
- Consider seeking a further medical opinion if necessary.
- Check the Mental Capacity Act principles and best interests process are being followed
- Prepare a report, which the decision maker has a legal duty to consider
- Challenge the decision (including about capacity) if necessary, informally first and through Court of Protection as a last resort