Noise from people
- shutting doors
- toilets flushing
- washing machines
- vacuum cleaners
- children playing
- babies crying
- sounds from TV and radio
- some DIY
is unavoidable when living near other people.
Everyday living noise from neighbouring homes is not anti-social behaviour unless the noise is persistent, unreasonably loud and during unsocial hours.
Most noise problems can be worked out informally between neighbours. If you can, have a friendly face to face conversation and explain the problem.
If you feel uncomfortable talking to your neighbour or if the noise is still disturbing you, report it to us.
Noise from parties
If the party is a one-off event, we will come out and investigate informally the noise and if we have received a number of complaints from neighbours.
Having a party or doing noisy work
Consider your neighbours if you are planning a noisy party or doing noisy DIY. Speak to them first, let them know what your plans are.
Before you have a party
• tell your neighbours in advance, including those who back onto your property and those over the road
• let your neighbours know what time you'll finish so they can anticipate an end time
• go outside from time to time to check the noise level and if it’s too loud then turn the volume down
• position speakers away from the wall between you and your neighbour, and avoid standing them on the floor if people are living below you
• keep windows and doors closed whenever possible
• don't let your party flow into the balcony, communal areas or onto the street
• ask your guests leave quietly, not to put the music on in their car too loud and slam their car doors loudly
Before you start your DIY
Give advance warning of any work being carried out to your neighbours so they can be prepared
When undertaking DIY, we recommend you give advance warning of any work being carried out to your neighbours so they can be prepared.
We recommend that noisy DIY is not carried out after 9pm.
Re Ltd Noise and Nuisance Service
During normal office hours from 9am to 5pm telephone 020 8359 7995
Outside of normal office hours telephone 0208 359 2000 option 2 or
07958 513 459 at the following times:
- Wednesday 8pm to Thursday 1am
- Friday 8pm to Saturday 4am
- Saturday 12pm to Sunday 4am
- Sunday 10am to Monday 3am