Bailiff Enforcement Action
Received: 16 April 2019
FOI request ' London Borough of Barnet use of bailiffs/enforcement agents in 2018/19
Under the Freedom of Information Act 2000, we would like to request the following information.
1) The number of times between 1st April 2018 and 31st March 2019, or the nearest available twelve month period, that private bailiffs/enforcement agents have been instructed to enforce debts to the local authority relating to each of the following;
a. Council tax
c. Housing Benefit overpayments
d. Business Rates
e. Commercial Rents
f. Any other debt types, including any other overpayments
By 'private bailiffs/enforcement agents' we mean those who are self-employed or who work for private companies, including as high court enforcement officers. Please include cases where local authority employees have visited a property to enforce a warrant of control.
2) Do you signpost residents to one or more free debt advice agencies as part of your collections process? (Yes/No) If so, which charities?
3) Have you adopted the Standard Financial Statement (or Common Financial Statement) as a tool for objectively assessing income and expenditure as part of your collections process? (Yes/No)
4) Do you have a formal policy in place for dealing with residents in vulnerable circumstances as part of your collections process? (Yes/No)
5) Do you currently have a policy of exempting recipients of Council Tax Support from the use of bailiff action? (Yes/No)
6) Have you adopted the Citizens Advice/Local Government Association Council Tax Protocol? (Yes/No)
Please provide each set of information above separately in your response. We would prefer to receive your response in electronic format, either included in the body of an email or as an attachment in Excel, Word or PDF format.
Please send your response to the following email address: email@example.com
If you have any queries on the questions above, please let us know as early as possible.
My understanding is that under the Act, this information should be provided within 20 days of this request, that is by 17 May 2019, and I look forward to receiving it before then.
Outcome / Documents
- Response (all information to be supplied) - application/pdf - Download